VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have edited videos in the past but this is my 1st time with Adobe Premiere 6.0. It is an older program but my friend has used with with good results.

When I uploaded my clips off my DV camcorder they play just fine on my computer. When I drop them into the editing timeline the clip doesn't play smoothly and jumps around. I have tried de-interlacing it but it did nothing. I am not sure what could cause this issue.

Here is an example.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ise1zPnd_-Q

let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Last edited by toyota200x; 4th Nov 2010 at 06:27.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Looks like you got the field order wrong. The original DV would be bottom field first and you probably set it up in Premiere as top field first.

One thing I am sure of and that is the aspect ratio is off. You uploaded the 720x480 video. That's a 1.5:1 ratio where it should be 1.33:1. Either you should have resized it to 640x480 or similar before uploading, or you can add the tag:

yt:stretch=4:3

to have the YouTube player resize it.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146402
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried doing a little reading on field order. I am confused. What would I do to fix the field order?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DV is natively Lower Field First. When you start up Premiere, make sure your project preset is NTSC - DV (and, in most cases the audio should be 48kHz). In the descriptions, there should be something that says, "Rendering Options: Field Setting: Lower Field First."
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did some testing last night. It seems to be my clips off my camcorder that do this jumping. I tried other avi files and they ran smooth. I captured the footage off my camcorder with Windows Movie Maker in AVI mode. There must be something with that footage that Premiere doesn't like.

Any suggestions??
    Quote Quote  
  6. when you view it from the camcorder connected to tv is it "jumping" ?

what happens when you capture with windv ?

It seems to be my clips off my camcorder that do this jumping.
    Are you saying it doesn't play now? on a media player?

if it plays fine on the pc, except in premiere, it really sounds like reversed field order issue. Just change it in premiere

post a sample clip
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video clips off the camera play fine until I drop them into the timeline to edit them on Premiere. No jumpyness when played with VLC as a unedited file.

Never tried winDV. Will it allow me to upload with a USB cable or does it need firewire?

Field order is set to lower field 1st. I checked last night.

Thank you for the help
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by toyota200x View Post
    Never tried winDV. Will it allow me to upload with a USB cable or does it need firewire?
    When you captured with Windows Movie Maker, weren't you going through firewire?

Please describe how you are interfacing between camcorder and computer. Your problem may be starting right at that point.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never used a firewire and I have made about 7 other videos with various programs. I use a USB cable that was supplied with the camera.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have never used a firewire and I have made about 7 other videos with various programs. I use a USB cable that was supplied with the camera.
    Well then, we need to back up. You used the term "DV camcorder" in your opening post, which suggests miniDV. Are you recording to miniDV tape or some other medium? If you are not using firewire, you're probably not capturing DV-AVI files. (However, I suspect you may be doing a DV-AVI export with Windows Movie Maker, and thus getting the field mismatch.)

At this point, it would help to know the model of your camcorder and the type of media to which it records.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a panasonic gs320 mini dv tape camcorder.

I could always upload footage in wmv format no problem. So you NEED a firewire to capture AVI?

I did select DV-AVI export when capturing footage with WMM.
    Quote Quote  
  12. i've not worked with a gs320 but panny claims it will transfer DV over usb. check your DV files with the free app mediainfo and see what the specs are. put mediainfo into text mode then copy and paste the results here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. dv-avi is supposed to be lower field first, but did you try upper or top field first in premiere ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    dv-avi is supposed to be lower field first, but did you try upper or top field first in premiere ?
    I will have to try that.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...I could always upload footage in wmv format no problem...
    There you go. If you used firewire and a capture program like WinDV to transfer your minidv footage, you would get a straight, unconverted, bit-by-bit transfer of your DV footage. However, if you are first saving your video as a .wmv (which, I believe is Upper Field First) and thereafter exporting as DV-AVI (Lower Field First), then you are not only getting field mismatches, but unnecessarily re-encoding and degrading your footage.

Firewire cards are very cheap, and a capture utility like WinDV is free. I suggest you change your methods.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.outletpc.com/c5539.html

Do all firewire cards work with all computers? I have a Dell Dimension 3000 from 2005 running windows XP. Upgrading my RAM to 1gb soon.
    Quote Quote