VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm using the excellent DVdate tool (http://paul.glagla.free.fr/dvdate_en.htm) to convert DV-AVI footage from type 1 to type 2. This was originally imported from my Sony miniDV camcorder via Firewire connection using the standard import tool in Windows 7 (and is therefore type 1 format).

DVdate seems to do a good job, but it's apparently changing the audio format. I was under the impression that type 1 to type 2 conversion involved de-muxing the combined video/audio stream in the source file and writing it as two separate streams in the target. I wasn't expecting the actual content to change.

The original (type1) file shows the audio format as '48000Hz 16bits stereo PCM 19200 bytes/s', but the type2 file shows '32000Hz 12(16) bits stereo PCM 128000 bytes/s'. Is that what you would expect? According to VLC, the audio codec has changed from 'PCM S16 LE (s16l)' to 'PCM S16 LE (araw)'.

Any ideas? Admittedly, I can't hear any obvious difference in the audio quality, but I'd rather preserve it in full resolution if that's possible.

Cheers,
    Simon.
    Quote Quote  
  2. if you want type II DVavi try capturing from the camera with winDv. change it's settings to do it automatically.

dvdate shouldn't change the type of audio the file has, so something is messed up. what type of audio was the camera set for?
    Quote Quote