VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I've been trying to add English subtitles to a foreign DVD I own, and I've seen plenty of guides on how to demux the DVD, add the subs, then re-author it. But this all seems to involve burning it to a new custom DVD.
    I couldn't find the answer to my question anywhere so I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether it is possible to edit/add subtitles on the original disk? So I could still use the official disk.

Thank you for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your question is a little vague, although you might not understand it as such. In any event, yes, subs can be added to an existing DVD (or taken off of a DVD for editing, although they'll have to be OCR'd), but in the process you have to dismantle it before putting the pieces back together again,. No reencoding will be done and in the end you'll get back the menus and everything else the way they were originally. Here's Baldrick's guide on the topic. I prefer his Method 2:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD
    Quote Quote