VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a non-commercial DVD that I would like to trim, a minute or so off the beginning and the end. Is there a way to do this losslessly on a Mac?

At my disposal:
    Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
    iMovie '09 / iDVD
    MPEG Streamclip 1.9.1
    ffmpegX 0.0.9y
    MacTheRipper 2.6.6
    Handbrake 0.9.1
    Toast 10 Titanium

I have been experimenting with the above, doing internet searches etc for the past two days and haven't been able to come up with a solution. Is it even possible?
    The key is LOSSLESS. I don't want to lose anything, just the short segments at the beginning and the end.
    While I would prefer to use what I already have, I am not averse to paying for other software if it will get the job done.

Many thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would likely get more answers to Mac specific questions in our Mac Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nobody_home View Post
    trim a minute or so off the beginning and the end.
    Both MPEG Streamclip and Toast allow simple editing by making cuts, but afaik you will have to re-author and thus re-create a menu, if you want one. Both MPEG Streamclip and Toast will cut at keyframes, so the remainder will not have to be re-encoded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If there is only one main VOB in the file structure at 1,024 MB or less, you could try loading it in MPEG Streamclip and slicing off the beginning and end and re-inserting it in the file. Just remember to save the original.

Even though MPEG Streamclip will say you have to buy the $20 Quicktime MPEG 2 component, you really don't have to. You just won't be able to see what you are trimming off - you'll have to do it by simply looking at the time clock at the bottom of the streamclip window.
    Quote Quote  
  5. EDIT: I posted something regarding commercial DVD's, but I see that you're referring to a non-commercial disc... so I deleted my post.
    Last edited by mac&me; 24th Nov 2010 at 16:09.
    Quote Quote