VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I had 3x2 module for a yr. working fine and added another 3x2 module today but the system only recognizes 8gb of the 12. Though I built this system, I am not real computer geek or expert, just an average enthusiast. Not much knowledge of bios etc. What can I do to check/fix the situation before I RMA? I am not totally sure there is anything wrong with the memory and need to trouble shoot to make sure, it could just be a setting or something. Thanks
    PS: see my profile for system particulars. And yes I know, I don't need 12 gb ram, it was on sale cheap and I couldn't resist.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  2. if its not mb problem or OS limitation, it is time to update BIOS, flash ROM.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's the exact type of modules you have?

Have you read through the manual for your motherboard? I've just checked online, and there are a number of constraints listed in section 2.4.2, for example:

Type of modules allowed:
    1GB and 2GB unbuffered and non-ECC DDR3 DIMMs

You can only have one X.M.P or DDR3-1600 module per channel.

DIMMs with voltage requirements over 1.65V may damage the CPU.

Also the order of the modules in the sockets (A1,A2,B1,B2,C1,C2) can matter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had 3x2 gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333 in slots A2,B2,C2 which were running fine. I added 3 more modules of the same in the open slots. Only 8 gb are recognized. Belarc advisor says that slots Dimm2 & Dimm3 (B1 & B2) are empty. I never touched B2 which confuses me. Any ideas?
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman View Post
    I had 3x2 gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
    There are quite a few memory kits listed on the Corsair site with those features. The following ones mention XMP which *might* be causing you problems:
    (TR3X6G1600C8,TR3X6G1600C9,CMX6GX3M3C1600C7,TR3X6G 1600C8D,
    CMX6GX3M3A1600C9,CMX6GX3M3A1333C8,TR3X6G1333C7)
    http://www.corsair.com/products/xms3/default.aspx
    Are you sure you've got *exactly* the same DIMMs?
    in slots A2,B2,C2 which were running fine.
    The manual suggests the first 3 modules should go in A1,B1,C1

Have you tried the 3 new modules in A1,B1,C1 (with the original ones taken out)?

Not sure if you're already aware - but you should always earth yourself (ideally with a wrist strap) before touching the modules. Memory can be damaged by static electricity.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They're all the same TR3x6G1333C9. When I put the original 3 in, they had to go in A2,B2,C2. I have not tried taking the originals out and inserting the new ones. I'll try it tomorrow. Yes, I use wrist straps.
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: I switched the 3 new memory modules to slots that I know work and all seems OK. Show fine in System and Belarc. Searched the web for more info and slightly jacked up the voltage on the bios; Dram bus voltage = 1.64v, QPI/Dram voltage max = 1.35v. Still no luck. From what I have read, this is a common problem x58 mobo and i7 processor HTF do I fix it??? Going nuts at this point. I hate effin computers!!!
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What version of Windows 7 have you got?

Your profile says Win 7 Bus. (I assume to mean Business) but I can't find an official release of Windows called that. If you had Windows 7 Basic, it's limited to 8GB for the 64bit version. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Physical_memory_limits
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    What version of Windows 7 have you got?

Your profile says Win 7 Bus. (I assume to mean Business) but I can't find an official release of Windows called that. If you had Windows 7 Basic, it's limited to 8GB for the 64bit version. See:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7#Physical_memory_limits
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778%28VS.85%29.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7
    Sorry, was Vista Bus. with upgrade to 7 Pro. So, it's W7 Pro.

update: updated bios, still no joy!
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote