VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey! Which setup would give me better quality on my TV while recording?
    1.PS3 Composite cables to input of VCR. M/M Component cables from output of VCR (Progressive Scan) to TV. M/M Composite cables from VCR out to recording device.
    2.PS3 Composite and S-Video cable has S-Video plugged in to TV and Composite Video plugged in to recording device. Composite audio cables are plugged in to the input of the VCR and M/M Composite Audio cable has one end plugged in to the output of the VCR and the other end plugged in to the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by s3r19lk1ll3r View Post
    Hey! Which setup would give me better quality on my TV while recording?
    1.PS3 Composite cables to input of VCR. M/M Component cables from output of VCR (Progressive Scan) to TV. M/M Composite cables from VCR out to recording device.
    2.PS3 Composite and S-Video cable has S-Video plugged in to TV and Composite Video plugged in to recording device. Composite audio cables are plugged in to the input of the VCR and M/M Composite Audio cable has one end plugged in to the output of the VCR and the other end plugged in to the TV.
    #1 As was already explained to you in your other thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/327499-VCR-Question, the video input quality always limits the video output quality. Component is a better quality connection that composite, but since you are feeding the VCR composite video, the component video output will still be of lesser quality than it normally would, even if the VCR provides comb filters for composite input. If this is the same VCR mentioned in your other thread, component output may also not work except when playing DVDs, and still only provides SD output.

#2 You have it backwards. You should record from the best quality input the recording device supports. Normally that is S-video. If so, use composite for the TV.

If you run the audio through a VCR, you will only be able to record the left audio channel and listen to the right audio channel on the TV or vice-versa. If you want to record and listen to stereo audio, don't use the VCR. Get a pair of RCA audio splitters and a pair of regular RCA AV cables made for TVs. There are a numerous YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use them for recording console games.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

#2 You have it backwards. You should record from the best quality input the recording device supports. Normally that is S-video. If so, use composite for the TV.

If you run the audio through a VCR, you will only be able to record the left audio channel and listen to the right audio channel on the TV or vice-versa. If you want to record and listen to stereo audio, don't use the VCR. Get a pair of RCA audio splitters and a pair of regular RCA AV cables made for TVs. There are a numerous YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use them for recording console games.
    Yeah I know but the thing is I WANT to record Composite Video, not S-Video. This is because it's just SO intolerable to play in Composite Video! It's blurry, colors are messed up, images lose focus when moving, it's just too much when i'm used to playing in breathtaking HDMI. It's like insulting my LCD! I just can't take it. Also, about the Audio thing, my VCR has more thank one audio output so I wouldn't have to worry about that, would I? Now, knowing that i want to record Composite Video, not S-Video, I ask again, which setup would give me the best quality on my TV, not on recording. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normally VCRs have one set of analog RCA audio outputs, and multiple sets of RCA audio inputs. If yours has two pairs of audio outputs and both can transmit audio at the same time, that would be most unusual.

Option 2 is likely a little better. However, you still only have SD video coming into the LCD. The result will still be "blurry, colors are messed up, images lose focus when moving". SD component video or S-Video won't give enough improvement to make a real difference when your LCD doesn't handle SD analog video particularly well, as seems to be the case here. End of story.

If nothing short of HD video is tolerable while playing games, then you will need to save your money for some better toys, a Hauppauge 1219 HD PVR, and a likely a more powerful laptop too. Then you can record and watch in up to 1080i resolution using HD component video output from the PS3.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Oct 2010 at 18:25.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why bother asking the question. Just try it out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why bother asking the question. Just try it out.
    I don't think he's purchased the capture device yet, let alone cables. He's using us to figure out what to buy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why bother asking the question. Just try it out.
    I don't think he's purchased the capture device yet, let alone cables. He's using us to figure out what to buy.
    Exactly. Thanks for other reply as well.
    Quote Quote