VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking for a MeGUI replacement and tried StaxRip. The video output shows a bunch of blocky ghosting artifacts. I never had that problem in MeGUI, though I'm using the latest x264 version now. It only occurs when using x264, not xvid, and it only shows when played back in Media Player Classic, not VLC.

I have never had this problem with other x264 encodes in MPC, and it only happens with the ones encoded through StaxRip. I have tried changing advanced settings, but I'm not sure what most of it is. When I tried adjusting B-frames it only got worse, but it should be noted that I'm not exactly sure what the different B-frame settings does.

The artifacts appear on the exact same places each playthrough.
    Last edited by Xavier; 27th Oct 2010 at 22:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. what decoder are you using for mpc ? render the file in graphstudio or graphedit to look at the directshow filter chain

what happens if you use ffdshow or mpchc's internal h264 decoder ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think it is the internal filter as there's no external added. I can't get disabling and enabling internal filters to work though. Files still play even when all of them are disabled. Playback in Windows Media Player works fine too btw, so I assume it's an internal filter. However, since only the files I have encoded has the problem I assume I've done "something wrong" or at least something different with them.

After a few more tries I have noticed it doesn't happen all the time. I'm not sure what and when, but I have tried different sources. Another thing I just noticed was that the functioning files showed a bit rate in MediaInfo, while one that doesn't work doesn't show bit rate, but shows"Format settings, GOP: M=6, N=9. I'm not sure why or if it has anything to do with the problem. I don't even know what the latter is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it plays ok in other media players it's likely a playback configuration issue, not an encoding issue
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    If it plays ok in other media players it's likely a playback configuration issue, not an encoding issue
    But since it's only my own encodes that provokes the artifacts, the encodes has to be different from others. So even if it is the decoder that's buggy, it's still a difference in the encodes that only I seem to do. Take html, many browsers accept various unclosed or outdated tags for a DTD - that doesn't mean that it's good to use them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You have to provide more information on what decoder is being used. For example, this exact issue occurs with older decoders that couldn't decode weightp . If you use newer builds ffdshow , the problem disappears . Without knowing how you have MPC configured, it's impossible to help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64 1.4.2499.0 with standard settings. I don't know how I find out which filters it use, but as I said, the external filters list is empty and internal filters has all selected (including "H264/AVC (DXVA)" and "H264/AVC (FFmpeg)". I'm not sure if this is what you're after, because it plays back just the same with all filters disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So the artifacts are repeatable , and occur at the exact same places , but when you use WMP or VLC, there are no artifacts ?

But other differently encoded files do not exhibit artifacts?

This strongly suggests a playback configuration issue

If you want to track down what encode settings were used between different encodes, use mediainfo (view=>text) , or look at your log files

Can you post a sample that has artifacts?
    Quote Quote