VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been trying to figure out how data is stored via DVR or however else a TV can save information. My reason for asking is that with the emergence of anyroom DVR, premium VOD, internet-ready tvs, etc. data storage is going to be huge factor. Basically how does all this data get saved??

In addition how bullish are people about the future of DVR? I think it is going to become almost standard for TVs but I am biased cause I love DVR.

Any feedback is awesome.
    Last edited by howdoesthiswork; 26th Oct 2010 at 20:33. Reason: had things to add
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by howdoesthiswork View Post
    I have been trying to figure out how data is stored via DVR or however else a TV can save information. My reason for asking is that with the emergence of anyroom DVR, premium VOD, internet-ready tvs, etc. data storage is going to be huge factor. Basically how does all this data get saved??

In addition how bullish are people about the future of DVR? I think it is going to become almost standard for TVs but I am biased cause I love DVR.

Any feedback is awesome.
    Depends what DVR you are talking about. If cable, they have a hard disk in the box to record local data encryted for your future pleasure. If the disk fills you are back to live.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the feedback. Would you know any specifics about such a hard drive? The make or type?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most DVRs have a hidden menu that can accessed that displays system info. Depending on the DVR, this will usually display the brand and size of the hard drive.

The hard drive in DVRs are the same drives that you buy in the store or online. Most tend to be IDE.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Any feedback is awesome.
    DVRs are the standard in the USA and Canada but most of the rest of the world has little to no interest in them. So it really depends on how limited your scope is when you talk about them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Any feedback is awesome.
    DVRs are the standard in the USA and Canada but most of the rest of the world has little to no interest in them. So it really depends on how limited your scope is when you talk about them.
    Based on some posts I've read here, DVRs actually are popular outside of the US, particularly for those with satellite service. The main difference is that elsewhere people are more likely to buy their own unit rather than rent from a paid TV provider.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So. UNLIKE the drives most people buy, which are SATA. Also I would bet that the drives are specialized in the "firmware" that's on the drives eg it will be orientated towards AV streaming and writing, rather than performance or use in desktop applications. and be designed for 24/7 quiet use.
    Generally 2.5 drives for a smaller footprint or 3.5 for larger capacitys.(1tb+).

Most drive Mfrs have a range of drives, some of which will be slanted for desktop use, others for Av, still others for use in RAID configs. The Drives themselves are no different, its just the Firmware that prioritizes different tasks.
    eg http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=615
    Last edited by RabidDog; 27th Oct 2010 at 12:13.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Today, "normal" drives handle A/V fine. The main set top box issues are power (heat) load and noise.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tivo series 1 and series 2 (standard definition) units record 480 x 480 at best quality, onto a hard drive.

The drives require some special preparation to be recognized by the Tivo unit (need to know before upgrading), and are available (for a price) from several vendors online.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote