VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have in the last couple of days googled and did so awhile back and don't seem to see anything new in terms of being able to rid of the annoying trailers and warnings on a dvd that is being backed up.
    Is there anything new out there that a non tech end user like myself maybe able to understand and use.
    I look forward to comments, thank you.
    BTW, I thought it best to indicate that I am not a techie user and need basics to understand and accomplish a correct end result.
    Cheers.
    Toshiba Satellite M50-MX 5
    1.8ghz, 1 gig RAM,Intel Pent 4, xpsp2,
    BenQ 162I 16X External Burner
    Western Digital Storage Device 160 gigs
    Quote Quote  
  2. Dunno about anything new, but there are some tried-and-true ways to do it:

1) DVDShrink in reauthor mode. Result is movie-only, no trailers or anything else. Free.

2) VobBlanker. With this one you can keep menus but eliminate the trailers, warnings, etc. Requires a little work to learn, but really, any intelligent adult putting forth some effort can master it. I was up and running in less than half an hour after reading a guide, no problem. Free.

3) Nero Recode. Like DVDShrink but without the decryption capability. Can selectively eliminate titlesets while retaining menus. I haven't used it, but AFAIK it can kill trailers and warnings. Payware, but Nero is commonly bundled with DVDBurners. (I have a drawer full of Nero install discs).

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. 4) PGCEdit to skip over the garbage and go straight to the menu:

This method allows you to jump to any menu or title on insertion of your DVD, setting the audio and subtitle streams of your choice and by-passing anything in your way (e.g. annoying FBI warnings, studio promos and Dolby Digital trailers) and having all the DVDs internal registers set exactly as they would be if the commands followed the original path.
    http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/blutach/How_to_use_PgcEdit_new_macro.htm

That skips over them, without actually removing them. That being said, I use a combination of PGCEdit and VobBlanker to both get rid of them entirely and then redo the menu navigation in PGCEdit before then processing in VobBlanker.

However, since you neglected to tell us what you've already tried or anything of the difficulties you've encountered, it's hard to make suggestions of methods that might be new to you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I rip "main movie only" to get rid of all the other crap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In reply to a query posted. I have not tried anything yet. I mention that the dvd that I am looking at attempting anything with appears to have the trailers and warnings in one file as that is all that is shown.
    I have read in one article that some of the movies are doing this....basically embedding trailers and warnings into the main movie which and in my instance here the movie consists of 27 chapters and that is it.
    As a result of a possible issue, I decided to post.
    Xpsp3
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have never seen a commercial disc that has the trailers etc embedded in the main movie file, if this is indeed the case then I would suggest you load all the VOB files into a MPEG editor like Womble etc and simply top and tail the collection so as to only include the movie. Then export as a MPEG2 file (don't make any changes to the parameters simply choose automatic. It will do a stream copy in most instances. Then with this file author a backup DVD. You could use VSO ConvertXtoDVD or Google for freeware authoring programs.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx for the reply. Well it is true that everything is tied into the 27 Chapters. This is a music concert DVD and I think that I am getting in over my head here, as I am not sure what the last instructions refer to?
    Is there somewhere that I can read on this process so that I can understand what I will be attempting to do?
    Or what about DVD Shrink (reauthor...which I d/l the instructions for and still can't understand it).
    Is the latter software a possibility?
    I am newer than a 'newbie' when it oomes to editing a dvd! But am willing to go the time to learn.
    Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try Dvdremake. Very nice tool. East to use. You can also edit the dvd menus if needed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thx for the reply. I am definitely over my head here. I read some of the remake re: buttons, split, strip down etc. and have not a clue of what other programs should be used with this app.
    I was asking earlier about DVD Shrink...and its abilities to do what I need.
    I mentiioned that I did d/l the 're-author ' and did not grasp that. I have to look for other tutorials? if there are any and give them a go.
    I am simply about the apps. Even when I read what they can do and then google them...it is not clear to a noob like me.

Thankyou.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe enquire amongst your friends to see if one is a computer guru and give you a hands on tutorial - sometimes if someone is sitting next to and guiding you through the process the "light bulb" illuminates. It's a bit like the way young kids learn by the "show me how to do this or that" I do this for elderely people that are somewhat technophobes - the important thing is you should be in charge, in the driving seat so to speak.

DVD shrink in reauthor mode allows you to simply drag the files in the right hand pane into the left pane, this is the stuff you want. Look for the biggest file in the right hand side and drag it into the left and then press the play button at the bottom of the screen and check if that's what you need.

Have a look at these how to videos
    DVDShrink How to videos
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. You can use Mpg2Cut2 to open the VOB set, mark-in, mark-out, and Save This Clip. That will give you an MPG file that can be loaded into your favorite DVD authoring app. You'll have to rebuild the chapter markers manually.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lking at my situation, if the trailers etc. are embedded within the Main Movie ..which indicates it is 27 chapters is listed with simply the 1 Title will I ever be able to get these 'hangers on', as I call them separated because of this?
    The reason I was wondering about DVD Shrink is b/c of the Reauthor option which for me seemed like a little easier way for this Noob to editing end user.
    Thank you for responding and I appreciate the genuine suggestions. I obviously have to do some reading on these apps that are mentioned and see if these fumbling fingers are up for the challenge.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, if they're really part of the same title that contains the movie, but are a separate chapter(s), it's fairly easy to remove it. You can even keep the menus if you like. DVD Shrink in Reauthor mode can easily get rid of it, but you'll lose the menus. If you want to keep the menus then VobBlanker can also easily get rid of it, either by blanking a chapter (if the junk has its own chapter, although you've provided no evidence that's the case yet), or by cutting it out, whatever it is. Here are guides:

http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/prevcut/index.php
    http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/guides/VobBlanker/blanking/index.php
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The trailers and warnings are all part of the Main Movie which is a full 27 chapters. I had a computer savvy friend look at it today. He did this as a favor and did not offer suggestions.
    I guess I still am confused here and am looking for a end user friendly way to do this. Since it is a music concert, I am thinking th chapters menus are not that important and maybe an attempt to reauthor through DvD Shrink might be easiest for me ...though I looked at what info was available on 'reauthor' and was somewhat confused about the steps.
    I guess I will just have to experment to try to get the right windows to open and contain the correct content.
    Thank you
    (as I mentioned, I am new to all of this).
    Quote Quote  
  15. If the trailers/warnings are really part of the titleset (and I don't recall ever seeing a disc like that), your easiest method is DVDShrink. Reauthor mode, and lop off the junk at the beginning using start/end frame function. When you hit backup, it will remap the DVD, retaining chapters at the correct frames, minus the junk.

Read this, it shows exactly how to do it:

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

That's the easiest way IMO. So make up your mind to master this really simple process, instead of convincing yourself you can't.

[EDIT] I have a suspicion netmask56 is right. Reauthor and preview it and perhaps the trailers/warnings will not be there in the same titleset after all.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 27th Oct 2010 at 22:40.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for this reply. I will be trying to find the info on reauthoring and skipping the portions that contain these annoyances. I am approaching the "Senior" era...retiring from work that was not really tech involved and thus the lack of confidence prevails.
    I do know that I do read and try and re-read and try again and have mastered as an example getting into the "BIOS" to fix an issue and did not mess up the OS and fixed the problem.
    I guess in this situation there seems to be a lot of "steps" and thus .... I know that I need to spend more time practising and reading ...at least that is what it appears.
    Thank you....( end user with greying hair...LOL...and likely losing more grey matter LOL !!!)
    Quote Quote  
  17. This isn't a kiddie site, lots of us are as old as you. Which is probably why slang and text-speak are frowned on by the regulars

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Super reply!! As I have been in some forums which I no longer belong to b/c of their "witticisms" that were more like criticisms of my lack of intellect with computers. ( I already acknowledge that!)
    It actually made me feel like I was being bashed as my grandchildren call it and that I was incapable of learning.
    Thus I quit the forums and have been basically "googling" and trying to find experimental solutions.
    I always spend time reading and insuring that I will not press a "purge button" as I call it and make my life more miserable! LOL
    So it is nice to hear that I have friendly company here. Again thank you for the psychological support!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by vanc; 27th Oct 2010 at 23:24. Reason: errors
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    This isn't a kiddie site, lots of us are as old as you. Which is probably why slang and text-speak are frowned on by the regulars

Good luck.
    and older - I'm 72 and enjoying middle age
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there! No I didn't vanish into the Pacific Ocean... I have simply been out in the rain with my "brelly" at my grandson's soccer practice and game... and he did score a goal in a 2 -1 "muddy mess"...but typical for our area and hey no complaints.
    I did give this dvd project a 'go' and ripped it to the HDD and then where I messed up on my DVD-RW was at the portion where I was to "set start/End Frames.
    I made a mega mistake and slid the "slider" along and got the start of the credits ( I thought that I was ridding of these) and slid down to the end.LOL.
    But that is only what I recorded and nothing else?!
    I really don't know what I am doing at this point. There is some extras at the beginning and some at the end that I don't want but obviously I would have everyone sitting watching only the extras that I just copied onto my dvd-rw... a very stimulating evening to everyone for sure!LOL
    But at least I have moved to a point in the process here!
    Your advice on what I did wrong would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    BTW...I hope that I gave everyone a little "snicker" at my progress ... as I mentioned ..I am always up to doing reading and not giving up etc.
    The better half had to get another cup of 'java' at the conclusion of this episode! LOL
    Last edited by vanc; 29th Oct 2010 at 00:34. Reason: add. info
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well, I still have not figured out how to rid of the parts unwanted via the "frames" and obviously am doing something wrong as I am keeping the wrong things and ridding of the main part.
    I took a break from doing it and will try later on tonight or tomorrow when the grandchildren are not running around.
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote