VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just switched from an out of the wall direct connection to a Comcast Digital Cable box. I hooked up my dvd recorder and VCR and everything works fine. I have two DTA modules, for other TV's, and a large Cisco Sys. Cable Box. I see that the DTA modules are always powered up-like a router. The Cisco Box has an on/off control. My question is: can I leave the Cisco Box on all the time-like a router, or is it better to use the on/off switch as needed? For vacations, can it be left on to use program mode to record a TV show?
    Quote Quote  
  2. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My motorola dvr will record shows when off, so I'lll be yours will to. You could always test it but recording a random show/time and see if it records when off
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a cisco cable box from comcast. it will record to the dvr when the reciever is turned off.
    If it's an ambulance...you got a chance. If it's a hearse...it's even worse!!!--Judge Alvin "JP" Valkenheiser

Want to extract audio from .vob files? Read my guide at https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187078
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is the question I would liked answered: The Cisco Box has an on/off control. My question is: can I leave the Cisco Box on all the time-like a router, or is it better to use the on/off switch as needed? For vacations, can it be left on to use program mode to record a TV show?
    I have a JVC DR M10S recorder connected from cable box out to dvd recorder in on L2 and a VCR connected on on L1
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    This is the question I would liked answered: The Cisco Box has an on/off control. My question is: can I leave the Cisco Box on all the time-like a router, or is it better to use the on/off switch as needed? For vacations, can it be left on to use program mode to record a TV show?
    I have a JVC DR M10S recorder connected from cable box out to dvd recorder in on L2 and a VCR connected on on L1
    Hmm, what model box?

Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta. Have they renamed the boxes Cisco?

Cable DVRs can be killed but you don't do it with the on/off switch. You pull the plug.

The purpose of a DVR box is to maintain a schedule, record programs when you are absent and receive cable company updates.

If you want it to record, you leave it plugged in. I've never seen a diffference whether the on/off modes are selected. The box is always on. I think the off mode only causes the TV feed to go black.

If you want it off, pull the plug and it won't record anything or draw power. This is what the Greenies want you to do. All the kids shows say pull the plug. If you do if will take 15 minutes or so to verify your account and reload the schedule before a program will show on the TV.

If you are a Greenie get rid of the DVR and the TV. Yes the TV is always on too.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Greenie...haha....I'll be using that term for now on.....damn Greenies!
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Model is Cisco RNG100. I do not have a digital comcast recorder. It's analog JVC DR M10S and the cable box enables me to record TV as before. I don't have or want that program guide stuff. The equipment works just fine in all combinations. I just want to know if the thing can be left on or is it better to shut it off. Pulling the plug is ridiculous for this setup. I shut it off with the remote. Since this is the first time I needed to use this cable box stuff, I just want to know the simple answer to the question alluded to above. I am not looking for this fancy Dan comcast DVR crap. Time Shifting is not my only goal.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you record to your DVD recorder using a schedule, how does it change the channels on the Comcast Digital Box? Is there a little remote extender plugged into the DVD recorder you put in front of the Comcast box that sends the IR signals. If yes, then I would think the DVD recorder would be able to turn on the Comcast box and change to the correct channel. If it's connected by a firewire cable, then I think it will work the same way. If you have to set everything manually, you will need to leave the Comcast box on and on the channel you want to record. I don't see a problem leaving the Comcast box on all the time. I think it only runs on 5 volts, so its power supply isn't drawing that much juice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look-I don't have a fancy Dan system. The cable box must be on and the DVD Recorder must be on, in timer mode, to record. No devious gismos envolved. Can some one answer a simple question: Yes, No or under certain conditions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    My question is:

can I leave the Cisco Box on all the time-like a router, or is it better to use the on/off switch as needed?

For vacations, can it be left on to use program mode to record a TV show?
    It is designed to be left on all the time. Power draw is 35 watts.

The on-off button on the remote does not turn the unit fully off. It just mutes the audio and video out. The box receives software updates, menus and program schedules 24x7 through the cable. If you do pull the plug, a long data download is needed to replenish the menus and data.

Manual here
    http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/settopboxes/ciscorng100userguide.pdf
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think pepegot1 means can he leave it in the on state where it's sending video to the TV all the time but just turn the TV off and on. Like you said, it's only 35 watts so there shouldn't be any harm in leaving it in the on state all the time. Since it's being "rented", if it over-heats and dies, just get Comcast to replace it, and then you will know not to leave it on. I wouldn't stack newspapers around it if you do decide to leave it on, just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I left my Motorola Comcast cable box on for a week by mistake once with no harm done. It has to be on to use with a VCR or DVD recorder. If not in use, I try to remember to turn it off with the power button, but it's actually in standby, like the VCR, the DVD recorder and most TVs. It gets its guide and program downloads anyway.

Electricity is expensive where my sister lives and she unplugs everything she can at night, but since she does not record TV anymore, it isn't really much of a problem. Using the VCR is too much trouble for her now that Comcast requires cable boxes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the answers. That is just what I wanted to know, from the last couple of replies.
    Quote Quote