VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having this problem. I did a search and fount some things. Some say its a old problem with TMPGEnc DVD Author and you should just ignore it and others try to fix the video files then send them back to TMPGEnc DVD Author. Is it just a old problem and should be ignored? Or should I fix the files. If its a old problem Pegasys Inc. should fix it. If it is a TMPGEnc DVD Author problem what exactly causes it?

I have tried to convert the files I have from one format to another then back to DVD without success. I tried to convert the files at a lower bitrate and that didn't work. They are flv and mp4 files converted to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    have had the same issue many times...just ignore it and go forward
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It may or may not be a problem. If you are sure you haven't used high bitrates then you can probably ignore it. If you have used high bitrates then it may be worth using a bitrate viewer to confirm that you haven't strayed too high for any length of time. There is a known issue with Tmpgenc's bitrate reading, but that doesn't mean it is always wrong.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the bitrate is to high somewhere withing the video file, TDA will simply re-encode down. The problem really stems from TDA reading bitrate from the video's header and is normally set at 9800 for a dvd, but the actual bitrate is typically lower (more like 6000 to 7000). Most other authoring programs actually determine the video & audio bitrate by reading the actual files themselves and ignore what the header says.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get the warning with TDA (ver 1.8) when copying MPEG-2 files from recent DTV broadcasts to DVD. So far none has refused to play back on my Pioneer standalone but I can't vouch for any other make of player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can vouch for Moontrash. I get this message all the time when authoring. I've had zero problems so far.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From now on I will ignore it. I was about to ignore it this time but I decided to try one more thing. I went and got the updated Total Video Converter. I had a older version. I ran the files through there with bitrate set to 6000 and TMPGEnc DVD Author did not complain. TMPGEnc DVD Author said the bitrate was 9000. With all the converters I tried even a old version of Total Video Converter, I set the bitrate low(1000-4000) and still got that error message with TMPGEnc DVD Author. I wonder what is different now with Total Video Converter and how can I set up other video converters to do the same.

Does the converters set the bitrate in the video header? If so I wonder if you could configure the different converters to put in the actually bitrate in the header. How can you change the bitrate in the header?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by dread View Post
    ...and how can I set up other video converters to do the same.
    What difference does it make? It's a bug in TDA. Why waste time with it? If you really want to fix it, open the M2V in ReStream and change the 9800 to whatever you like. If lower - say around 9000 - you'll never hear a peep out of TDA. But nothing has really changed other than a useless number in a header.

I ran the files through there with bitrate set to 6000 and TMPGEnc DVD Author did not complain.
    If that was 6000 CBR (a bad idea in most cases) then the header gets written as 6000.

Does the converters set the bitrate in the video header?
    Not as such. They just stick 9800 in the header, which in most cases has nothing to do with the real average or max bitrate. Me, doing it manually in CCE and turning off the 'For DVD' checkbox (which will also stick 9800 in the header if left on) I always get my max bitrate in that header (usually 9500).

If so I wonder if you could configure the different converters to put in the actually bitrate in the header.
    Again, why waste time with substandard programs? What's the big deal? To avoid getting a meaningless warning from TDA? And by 'actual bitrate' what do you really mean? The average bitrate or the maximum bitrate (assuming you're doing VBR encoding)? As I mentioned, you can stick any number you like in there, after the encoding completes. I doubt if any of these simple conversion programs you're using allow you the option.

How can you change the bitrate in the header?
    Restream, or DVD Patcher after the muxing.
    Quote Quote