VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was trying it with my capture card, at 100% Q setting, I captured a file about 1/4 of the size of an
    equivalent Huffy capture.

Not sure how it compares to the $$ mjpeg codecs, but I was wondering if it might be a serious
    alternative for analog capture.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should be fine if you're not going to do any editing of the video. It is lossy, but at highest quality setting it's like a series of jpeg pictures at 100% quality. Good enough for 1 generation footage.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Makes sense. The main reason I wondered about it is that when ever the subject of capturing analog comes up,
    if it's not HW mpeg-2, HuffyUV or the Picvideo Mjpeg codec are mentioned - and that costs $29.

I've never seen anybody recommend the free FFDshow Mjpeg as an alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You should be able to edit mjpeg just fine with Vdub.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Neomaine, you're right. I was thinking more of color grading, dissolves, special FX, etc. Straight cuts with Smart Rendering would be fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've been using the Matrox mpeg-2 (avi) 4:2:2 codec for some time now. It is much smaller than than dv 4:2:0 codec. With dv we get roughly 4gigs/18min, and with matrox codec at 20 kbit/s, 1hr/8gigs, maybe 9gig.

-vhelp 5432
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a capture codec? Or is it used for rendering during your project ?

My Avermedia card has HW mpeg-2 with motion compensated noise reduction.
    I was looking for an alternative and noted that HuffyUV, Picvideo & FFDshow Mjpeg seemed to work, through Virtualdub capture, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, it is a capture codec, but will not work inside virtualdub even though it is an vfr codec.

You have to use virtualVCR for this one. But you will need fast computer. Although mine is slow it just makes it w/out the usual problems of dropped frames. I'm capturing from my directv receiver over a usb2 1TB external.

As far as where to get it, well, I downloaded it many years ago, 2003 i think, after 8 years, I don't have that link, and I can't find the install file, maybe it was a zip or rar at the time. i can't remember installing it on this computer, that was 3 years ago. Perhaps some guru here can find it for you in 30 seconds on their fast internet.

-vhelp 5434
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info vhelp.

I did a quick search myself and came to this page. Curiously though, it mentions version 1.0 Dated May 2010,
    so not sure if it's the same thing.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/windows/vfw_software_codecs/downloads/softwares/version1.0/
    Quote Quote