VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is your preferred program for video encoding and why? (ex virtualdub) What is your preferred video editing program and why? (Adobe Premiere/Final cut/Windows Movie Maker) What do you think about newly released video editing and encoding programs? Thanks all answers are greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    That depends on what I'm starting with, and which format I wish to have as an end result. When converting to mpeg2, I use AviSynth + HCenc, or AVStoDVD, it varies a bit depending on the source. My old copy of ProCoder sometimes comes in handy as well. If I need to author to dvd, I have a copy of DVD Lab Pro for that.

Encoding with H.264, I would normally use Handbrake or MultiAvchd, or BD Rebuilder. Again, it depends on the source and intended output.

I only do light editing, so AviDemux is normally enough for me, though I prefer VideoReDo for mpeg2 editing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use Premiere, After Effects, Audition, Illustrator, and Encore for all my Video Creation needs.. I like their nearly unlimited functionality, and because i like to author my own effects and styles, rather than use ones from a box

my second choice maybe Vegas, then Pinnacle.., for audio.. Soundbooth, then maybe Soundforge

For compressing for whatever reason, I use Super.. I really like that program for much of the same reasons i like Premiere and Audition, the freedom and ability to do whatever you want with outstanding results.. its only useful if you know how to get them..and know exactly what you want

i dont know what else is out these days.. these seem to work fine.. i would perhaps like a more professional program than Encore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To answer that question you need to supply project details...

- budget
    - user competence
    - source formats
    - editing or effects desired (for complex projects supply a detailed storyboard)
    - output formats desired

From that we can schedule a chat meeting.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    To answer that question you need to supply project details...
    good point..

i probably use Windows Movie Maker most of the time, just cutting clips out of long movies for animating gifs in Flash, or for reducing any movie to 10 MB email size for sending everything to family and friends.

Windows Media Encoder is a very good tool, its quite powerful.. Microsoft Expression Encoder 3 is alright, though not as powerful as Media Encoder.. I generally only use these 2 programs for video screen captures though..

but the above 3 programs are all free.. as is Super
    Quote Quote