VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I'm not sure where to go with this.

I have a mkv file that I want to make into an avchd for my ps3. It has the resolution 1280x544. Multiavchd says its not compliant. I had done an encode manually changing the size to 1280x720 (in the properties -altered properties tab). That did not look satisfactory.

The black bars were gone and it filled the screen. So the people looked taller than they should. Before I waste another encoding session what is the best approach?

I have been doing some searching on the forum for 1280x544 to 1280x720 but I'm not entirely sure how. Do I resize to 1280x720? Would that make it retain the letterbox? Is there a simple retain 16x9 option in multiavchd? I will have to encode it one way or another so I know time is involved but I just don't want to waste a session.

Should I crop it? I don't want it to fill the screen I want it to look how the original file plays in mpchc - with bars. I tried selecting crop 8 in the transcode window. That did fill up the screen on the preview window. Is that what I need to do? But I want to maintain the original dimensions on the screen. I prefer the oar if at all possible.

Your help is appreciated.

Edit - I haven't been able to open it in virtualdub - any version even the newest regular virtualdub. I think it was vdubmod that starts the mkv parsing window but hangs and doesn't open it. I couldn't even open it in avidemux so i don't know what the bar heights are for cropping if I need to.

Also I would prefer not to use uncropmkv if possible. I am not even sure that is what I need to do. I don't want to encode twice if I don't have to. I 'd prefer to go in a one shot from the original mkv to avchd with multiavchd.

Oh and I have the latest build for multiavchd also (770). THanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Thanks. I will check it out.

It doesn't introduce any quality loss does it? Is it a reencoder? Or is it simply a header adjuster?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must reconvert to add black borders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

I see this has the same layout as multiavchd - I think I read that it is by the same author right?

So what options do I select? I can do this directly in multiavchd but I want to know the proper procedure.

-----------------------------

I have selected resize to 1280x720 AND uncrop to 1280x720. I have already clicked start. Was this the right way to do it?

I just cancelled. I'll wait for a response.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That's the right way.Make sure you see the black bars in the uncropmkv preview windows.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The issue is a Blu-Ray player only accepts 1280x720 not 1280x544. You must fill the screen with letterbox bars to make 1280x720.

If your player is one that accepts mkv files directly, it will generate its own letterbox.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    The issue is a Blu-Ray player only accepts 1280x720 not 1280x544. You must fill the screen with letterbox bars to make 1280x720.

If your player is one that accepts mkv files directly, it will generate its own letterbox.
    The PS3 doesn't play MKV files directly, you either need to re-pack into an M2TS container using tsMuxeR, or burn to a disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    That's the right way.Make sure you see the black bars in the uncropmkv preview windows.
    Ok so I should do resize to 1280x720 AND uncrop to 1280x720?

I will check out the preview window to be sure. Now that I have the proper procedure I'll do it internally in multiavchd. I'm not doing any fancy menus or whatever but I do want to spit out a avchd folder in as few a steps as possible. I might as well get it in one shot instead of multiple times.

Edit - at eddv and zetski thanks - yes the intended destination is a ps3 so I will be sticking with avchd for my destination. I could always stream but I don't want to leave the file on my harddrive. I'm gonna burning it to a dl disc and taking it off the drive (once I've verified it plays correctly on the ps3 of course).

edit 2 - I just loaded the file into multiavchd and selected resize to 1280x720 and uncrop to 1280x720. The black bars disappeared in the preview window in the transcode window in multiavchd. I selected crop zoom -8 and seems to be back to where it started. Should I leave this setting? I am not sure what the exact pixels are because it can't open in virtualdub or avidemux but I can play it in vlc. I'm gonna try this and see how it goes. It'll be about a 2 hour encode plus whatever overhead for avchd creation. I'll let you know.
    Last edited by yoda313; 22nd Oct 2010 at 10:21.
    Quote Quote  
  10. All you have to do is add borders to make the frame size 1280x720.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    All you have to do is add borders to make the frame size 1280x720.
    Thanks.

Where is that setting in multiavchds transcode window? I kept trying to fool around with the crop feature but I'm not sure I can pinpoint the right proportion. Also will that cut off the original video or is that the right way to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you load the mkv into uncropmkv you don't need to set the resize unless you are going from 1080p to 720p,look at the pic i posted and you will see the settings.

If you are going to use multiavchd then you will see a transcode button that you click on and it will let you set the passes and bitrate.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	3924  

I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @johns0 - thank you! That was what I was not sure about. I will leave the resize tab at no change and the uncrop to 1280x720.

I am in the middle of finishing up a batch of encoding jobs. When I'm done I'll load up the mkv for the avchd conversion.

I appreciate all the help.

Edit - I feel like an idiot. That setup you showed is the default setting when the transcode window popped up! Once I clicked apply and set my auto chapters the video file went from red to green to show avchd compliance.

Right now I have about a 2 and half hour encode job and I should be able to burn it to a dl and test it out on the ps3.

Thanks again everyone.

(it's so much simpler when you just have to select 16/9 to make something widescreen - BUT this is how we learn so it wasn't a total waste )
    Last edited by yoda313; 22nd Oct 2010 at 14:50.
    Quote Quote