VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All. I have a ripped DVD folder on my PC that is VIDEO_TS. The video is a home move that has been burned to DVD from VHS. The audio and video are horrible synced. About 5 seconds off. Not sure how it got that way but I'd like to resync it.

I suppose I need to convert the video_ts folder to an AVI and then split the streams. But I'm a rookie and not sure how to go about this.

What would I use to convert the video folder to AVI and at that point how can I sync the audio?

Thanks.

PS> I looked through the tool section of this website adn there are thousands of tools. I'm overwhelmed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't convert it to AVI type format. No need. Important question, is the audio sync error the same the full length of the playback or does it gradually get worse? If this is the problem, a bit more complicated.

First you can play it back with Media Player Classic HC. Within the player there is a adjustment for audio sync. Use that till the sync is correct and note the audio offset, plus or minus.

Then you can extract the MPEG-2 with the audio using VOB2MPG.

Put that file into AVIDemux with video and audio set for 'Copy' and the video as MPEG video. Under the audio selection you will see a box that says 'Shift'. Check that and input your audio offset. Save the video. Check it.

If it's correct now, reauthor it back to a DVD if that's your final destination. GUI for dvdauthor can do that. A really basic authoring program is DVDAuthorgui.

Burn it to disc with Imgburn and you're done.

Those are all freeware programs.

Other members may suggest different methods.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. THanks. I believe this is going to be more complex than I had hoped. The offsett is not consistant throughout the video. I believe the video framerate might be too fast. It shows 29.97 in avidmux. But if I adjust the video -1700 ms the audio syncs at the beginning but it way off at the end of teh movie. By approximatley 15 seconds. To my ear the audio sounds fine. It doesn't sound like they are talking too fast or too slow. But the video is hard to gauge because it's poor quality.

Will adjusting the video framerate fix this or do I have to adjust teh audio track?

Is there some type of software that will allow me to "tack" a point in the audio to a specific video frame at the beginning and end of the video and then have it adjust the framerate or audio to match?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What you describe is usually because the video and audio are different lengths. That could have been caused by a bad PAL<>NTSC conversion. Usually the easiest way to correct it is to shorten or lengthen the audio. You can do that with a audio editor like the freeware Audacity. You need to demux (Separate) the audio and video, correct the audio length (And possibly change the pitch if it's very far off) and remux it with the video.

Then convert it back to a DVD format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I tried to open in audacity and I got the following error:

Audacity recognized the type of the file E:\title.mpg. Importers supposedly supporting such files are: FFmpeg-compatible files, but none of them understood the file format.
    Quote Quote