VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Given that it takes too much time to convert mkv to avchd with full recode, im considering converting to 4 gig m2ts files and using sequential playback on the PS3 for movies that dont need subtitles. My question is the following: Besides subtitles, are there other drawbacks to m2ts? will it not play in 24fps? will I have no audio, or will the ps3 not stream the HD quality audio. I will be playing them from a portable USB drive.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you stream with ps3 media server? with subs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the video is compliant then conversion to AVCHD is painless and pretty quick. If it isn't then you are likely to have problems with M2TS anyway. I suspect you won't get audio from an M2TS file if it is DTS encoded either.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is for non compliant files (of which it seems there are more than compliant ones).

I would rather not stream ... it's just more convenient to plug and play with a USB drive. If I specify to convert DTS to AC3 then I should still get multichannel audio though right (though not HD quality)? Is my understanding correct?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by figdog View Post
    This is for non compliant files (of which it seems there are more than compliant ones).

I would rather not stream ... it's just more convenient to plug and play with a USB drive. If I specify to convert DTS to AC3 then I should still get multichannel audio though right (though not HD quality)? Is my understanding correct?
    I'm with you on this one, I prefer to use M2TS over MKV, however I still stream M2TS over my network as some of the files are larger than 4 GB and I have a full Gig-E wired network.

My thoughts on M2TS:
    • It gives me a cleaner seeking experience on the PS3. I found that it was really difficult & annoying navigating to a certain scene with MKVs as they had to be transcoded whilst streamed. M2TS provides much quicker thumbnail generation (when pressing the square button) and also allows better forward/rewind behavior.
    • Using tsMuxeR to convert creates a slightly larger filesize so if you take an MKV that is 4.7 GB and will fit nicely onto a SL DVD, after conversion to M2TS it will be just that little bit too large to fit.
    • No subtitles. Well, I'm of the opinion that if you need subtitles, they should be permanently embedded into the video file. I use MeGUI or VirtualDUB to burn-in any subtitles into the video stream. Yes this takes a while as you have to convert the entire video stream, but I usually set it running overnight in this case.
    • No DTS audio. Not a problem, I use eAC3to and convert to 640 kbps AC3. This gives a lower resultant filesize and no "noticeable" declination in audible quality.
    Quote Quote