VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I know next to zero about technology and want to know if anyone can help me?

I want to buy an LCD TV, and I want to know if I can power it not off the mains, but off some sort of external battery.

I want a TV like this one.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/philips/19pfl3404/phil-19pfl3404

It has a PC input, HDMI socket, USB socket.

Its power consumption is 27 watts.

Thank you for you techie help!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not directly, no. The power supply appears to be internal on that TV. If you found one with an external 'power brick', you might be able to make up a cable from a battery source, depending on the voltage required. But I doubt many LCDs run on 12VDC.

The other option is an DC>AC inverter to convert 12VDC to probably 220VAC 50Hz or whatever your local voltage is. Some automotive stores carry these. They are not very efficient, but they would work. I use one occasionaly when the power goes out here and run my laptop with it.

EDIT: Some examples of inverters: http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/power-inverters-chargers.cfm?gclid=CNHKzOvw3KQCFQICbAodVhV4Iw
    And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which begs the question of why you would want to run a tv off a battery.

And even if you could, which I doubt very much, how long would you think the battery would last >> a few minutes at most.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can run it from a computer type UPS. I have a similar 25w 20" LCD-TV that doubles as a computer monitor. A new 875VA UPS will run it about 90 minutes during a power outage. Expect time to shrink as the UPS ages. You can extend time by dimming the backlight.

Sometimes power outages can last days here so I also have a Honda generator with inverter that can power my computers, a TV and lights from gasoline. Expect to pay $500-999 for one of those.
    Last edited by edDV; 18th Oct 2010 at 16:23.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ~27 watts power draw, add in the inverter loss and with a regular car battery more like several hours. I've ran my laptop from my inverter and the motorcycle sized battery in my car jumper box lasts about three or four hours. I did this for nine days when a major stormed knocked out most of our high voltage transmission lines. I took the jumper box to work each day and charged it with our standby generator.

This is the inverter I have at present:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PV375-FRONT-L.jpg
Views:	8877
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	3875
    Last edited by redwudz; 18th Oct 2010 at 16:34.
    Quote Quote  
  6. dear all,

i have a simple question!

what happens if a connect a stable dc source eg. 110V to a lcd tv that normally runs off an ac source?

i understand the concept that the smps converts the ac power to several smaller dc voltages, but is / can this conversion be bypassed if normally connected to a dc source?

if yes what would be the tolerable range of the dc sources?

regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by emfkay View Post
    dear all,

i have a simple question!

what happens if a connect a stable dc source eg. 110V to a lcd tv that normally runs off an ac source?

i understand the concept that the smps converts the ac power to several smaller dc voltages, but is / can this conversion be bypassed if normally connected to a dc source?

if yes what would be the tolerable range of the dc sources?

regards
    No. Not unless the TV is designed to work directly off DC (usually 12 VDC).

As shown above, a 110-120 VAC TV can run off a 12 VDC to 115 VAC inverter or off a generator with built in inverter.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Susannah View Post
    Hi,

I know next to zero about technology and want to know if anyone can help me?

I want to buy an LCD TV, and I want to know if I can power it not off the mains, but off some sort of external battery.

I want a TV like this one.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/philips/19pfl3404/phil-19pfl3404

It has a PC input, HDMI socket, USB socket.

Its power consumption is 27 watts.

Thank you for you techie help!!

Hello,

Did you find some battery, I am training to do the same but I had not found the best option.

regards.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At my old job, we used Sears Marine Batteries with the TrippLite inverter. I think that it had something to do with the fact that Marine Batteries can be drained and recharged many times. I was told that an auto battery does not respond well to being totally drained and recharged, over and over.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you really don't want auto batteries in your house. they are not sealed, can leak sulfuric acid, and they vent hydrogen gas. think hindenberg.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Methinks Susannah must have been one of Obama's energy Czars.

Sratch that, Barcelona Catalonia
    Quote Quote