VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I posted this problem initially on afterdawn forums but was advised to ask here.

I built a new computer, bought a new SATA dvd writer and was expecting great things, what I wasn't expecting was it to take 20 minutes to burn a DVD

In afterdawn attar who helped me out suggested I check out Device Manager which I did and this is what I found.

2 primary IDE channels
    2 secondary IDE channels
    2 standard dual channle PCI IDE controllers

DVD drive location is 0 (0)

I have another IDE DVD drive - location Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, LUN 0

I don't really understand but don't I have SATA controllers installed?

I have a dual boot XP and 7, when I was installing XP it asked for drivers but I didn't have any on a floppy but I thought the drivers on the mobo disc would sort it out...

I can't compare anything in 7 at the moment as it keeps hanging, but that's another story you may soon be reading in another forum.

Any help would be much appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And your dvd writer is?
    Tried different dvdr media?
    Tried different burning apps? Try imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Really need more info here. What speed were you burning at? Was this single or double layer media? The reported time is not unreasonable depending on the speed of the burn and size of the media.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, burning at 2X takes about 30 minutes and burning at 4x takes about 15 minutes, so your burning times just might be okay.

Since this is a new computer, just make sure that your IDE channels are set to DMA If Available and not PIO.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I burn a disk at 4x using an IDE burner and then install a SATA burner and burn at 4x, then isn't the burning time the same?
    I assume the 4x, 8x is "times" a reference number of bits/sec - and that doesn't change.
    So why would haveing a sata connection affect the speed setting?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    SATA drives are more immune to the 'Reverted to PIO' problem than IDE (PATA) drives are. If your IDE drive is in PIO mode, it will operate very slow, irregardless of the burner speeds. And you will have very high CPU usage. If any of your drives are in PIO mode, they will operate slowly. You can check that in 'Device Manager'. Uninstalling the problem channel and rebooting usually resets the channel.

SATA controllers may also be called 'IDE' on some systems. That's why I generally use the term 'SATA' or 'PATA' to lessen the confusion.

The OS supplies the drivers for the optical and usually the hard drives, not the MB disc most times. The Device Manager should tell you if you are missing any drivers.

You didn't mention what program you were burning with. Most have an error log. Simply posting that here would answer most of our questions and may easily show the cause of the problem. ImgBurn is most recommended here, but Nero also has an error log. You can blank out the video names if desired.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your motherboard will have settings that make the the sata ide compatible so that windows sees them as ide controllers.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sorry should have known to give more info -

I was in Windows XP and first I used Nero 9 and was distracted so wasn't exactly sure how long it took but remember thinking it was a long time. Then I used CDBurnerXp and I think it was that program that i timed.

I was burning at 16x and I've used two different types of data disc Ariita and imation but one of the reasons I bought this drive was that it said it didn't have compatability issues with any discs.

Over the weekend I'll burn the same DVD, and make sure I'm aware of where it puts the log file.

I'm sorry but I still don't really understand whether I've got the right drivers, there is nothing missing in Device Manager - but I just wondered was it possible to be running the drives as IDE and so not getting the full benefit of them being SATA.

I thought my sig (which is my computer spec) would have been added to the bottom sorry

AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor - Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H motherboard - Corsair 4GB (2x2GB)DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) RAM - WD Cavier Green 1TB sata HD - OCZ Fatality 550w PSU - Liteon 24x DVD Writer - OS Windows XP 32 bit & Windows 7 64 bit
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Been a while since I used Nero, but I think the Nero log file is in: c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log It probably still lists the last Nero burn.

Don't worry much about the IDE designation. SATA and PATA are the more correct terms these days for Serial and Parallel ATA drives.

I don't think you have any driver problems or you would have yellow checkmarks in Device Manager.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by persephone View Post
    I was burning at 16x and I've used two different types of data disc Ariita and imation but one of the reasons I bought this drive was that it said it didn't have compatability issues with any discs.
    1) Both Arita and Imation are garbage.
    2) You can select 16X as a burn speed...but I have NEVER seen a burn that didn't start slow(4X) and eventually build up to the 16X speed....even IF it ever gets to 16X.
    3) Redwudz is right...ignore all of the talk about "drivers"....99% of the time it is a non-issue. And I haven't had PIO issues since the very early days of Windows XP...so that is also something to check LAST.
    High expectations from garbage discs are most likely you only "problem".
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK harsh..... but taken on board, crap discs lol

But the way my grand kids treat the discs and the number of times I have to redo the same film, it will probably cost me a fortune buying decent discs.

I don't mean to be rude lol but I've always bought crap discs and I can never remember it taking 20 minutes to burn a film 10/12 but 20 pfft

OK I'll go an have a look at what people are saying about what are decent discs, get a few and see how that goes

Thanks for the help everyone
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But the way my grand kids treat the discs and the number of times I have to redo the same film, it will probably cost me a fortune buying decent discs.
    A fortune? A 100 pack of Taiyo Yuden printable DVD-Rs can be had for less than $40.

I don't mean to be rude lol but I've always bought crap discs and I can never remember it taking 20 minutes to burn a film 10/12 but 20 pfft
    I have no idea what you are talking about.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    SATA drives are more immune to the 'Reverted to PIO' problem than IDE (PATA) drives are. If your IDE drive is in PIO mode, it will operate very slow, irregardless of the burner speeds. And you will have very high CPU usage. If any of your drives are in PIO mode, they will operate slowly. You can check that in 'Device Manager'. Uninstalling the problem channel and rebooting usually resets the channel.
    20 minutes is very bad, for sure, but I think the one or two times I ran into the reverted-to-PIO problem, the burning time wound up being far worse than that. Just about every thing I may have tried to do with the burner became so slow as to make it virtually unusable ! So I'd be inclined to suspect one of the other possible causes.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    20 minutes is very bad, for sure, but I think the one or two times I ran into the reverted-to-PIO problem, the burning time wound up being far worse than that. Just about every thing I may have tried to do with the burner became so slow as to make it virtually unusable ! So I'd be inclined to suspect one of the other possible causes.
    I don't think that it is possible to burn a DVD in PIO mode. Also, the OP finally admitted that he didn't really know how long it took to burn the disks.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP still hasn't said if he/she checked the DMA settings.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you built this PC may I respectfully suggest that you recheck your bios settings on the motherboard.

I do not have your board but on mine there are there settings that control the SATA devices :

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode - Disabled. Sets SATA controller to operate to PATA mode (default setting)
    SATA AHCI Mode - Disabled. Sets SATA controller as above (default setting)
    SATA port Native mode - Enabled allows the SATA controllers to operate in native IDE mode required for XP and above(on my mb this is NOT the default mode)

I did notice that your mb has two sets of SATA controllers so these settings may well be repeated in the bios.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I want to apologise for not returning to this post sooner, I got caught up on the 'crappy discs' and 'I have no idea what you are talking about' and went off to my room to sulk.

This week I decided the time is was taking to transfer files between drives was crap and came and asked about that, not thinking it related to the crappy disc issue. Thankfully jagabo repeated the advice given by redudz regarding the pio issue and I went and checked it and that's what it was. Now my files are transferring between drives lightning fast and I'm excited to see what happens when I burn to DVD

Again sorry for being so rude
    AMD Phenom II x4 processor, Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H mobo, Corsair 4GB (2x2GB)DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) RAM, WD Cavier Green 1TB sata HD, OCZ Fatality 550w PSU,OS Windows XP 32 bit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK harsh..... but taken on board, crap discs lol

There are a few discs advertised as "Scratchproof", with an extra tough surface.
    Cost more, of course, but should last longer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    persephone - Glad you got the problem fixed. Ah yes. The old PIO problem. This is a real possibility with XP as you learned. Without being too technical, basically Microsoft made a decision and they wrote some code that deliberately resets the devices to PIO mode if an error counter with a very small value ever gets exceeded. The reality of XP is that it's incredibly easy to exceed this counter, so Windows freaks out when it happens, assumes that there is a dire emergency and resets your devices to PIO mode. Don't be surprised if you run into this again. It's very debatable as to whether this was a good idea by Microsoft or not, but that's how it is.

Another way to fix it is to simply assign FFFFFFFF as the value to be exceeded by the counter. That hexadecimal number is so high that it should never be exceeded. However, this requires careful editing of the Windows Registry and it's beyond the scope of most home users. redwudz's suggestion usually does the trick for this problem, so you might want to print it out and keep it handy just in case you see this again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Another way to fix it is to simply assign FFFFFFFF as the value to be exceeded by the counter. That hexadecimal number is so high that it should never be exceeded. However, this requires careful editing of the Windows Registry and it's beyond the scope of most home users. redwudz's suggestion usually does the trick for this problem, so you might want to print it out and keep it handy just in case you see this again.
    An even easier fix: recent versions of ImgBurn have an option under its Tools menu: "Reset DMA" that does this.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    An even easier fix: recent versions of ImgBurn have an option under its Tools menu: "Reset DMA" that does this.
    Oh, GOOD ! (I could have sworn I've seen small dedicated utilities / scripts / batch files on the web somewhere that were said to do this also.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks I will certainly be keeping an eye on PIO - I can't believe it not only is it going lightening fast but I'm burning directly from the external drive without creating coasters yipeeeee
    AMD Phenom II x4 processor, Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H mobo, Corsair 4GB (2x2GB)DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) RAM, WD Cavier Green 1TB sata HD, OCZ Fatality 550w PSU,OS Windows XP 32 bit
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Oh, GOOD ! (I could have sworn I've seen small dedicated utilities / scripts / batch files on the web somewhere that were said to do this also.)
    Here's a good article on that and here's a VB script that does it. It would be a good idea to replace your drive cable. If you're using Y power splitters make sure they're pushed in all the way and no wire (data or power) should be under strain. You can use CrystalDIscInfo to check the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drives and figure out which cable to replace.
    Last edited by nic2k4; 13th Dec 2010 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote