VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. JIUVA
    Search Comp PM
    I can set my Samsung camcorder to either standard or widescreen mode. I have it set to widescreen.
    But even though it is in widescreen mode, my camera still shoots at 720 x 480 and the video files are with the extension MP4.
    My intention is to save my video files in DVD using the correct size in order to mantain the original quality.
    If I use Nero or another similar program to work with the MP4 files directly the information of the video files that the programs detects is 720x480 in 4:3 and not 16:9 as I supposed, so finally I obtain a video with black vertical colums at left and right when I played it in a 16:9 TV.
    Another option that I have is using the Intelli Studio software provided with the camcoder that shows me different options to save the files in a format like WMV or H.264.
    The options are 16:9 (1920x1080), (960x540) or less... and in 4:3 (800x600), (640:480) or less.
    I saved the file in 16:9 (960x540) and after that, when I open the file using Nero save the file in 16:9 with 720x480 and It seems to be ok in the TV.
    I wolud like to know if in the whole process I am loosing quality as I go from 720x480 to 960x540 and finally 720x480 again or If I need to use a different process.
    Quote Quote  
  2. what model is your camcorder ?

If you are shooting HD , then yes, you are unneccesarily losing quality with the intermediate step

My intention is to save my video files in DVD using the correct size in order to mantain the original quality.
    If it is HD camcorder, then you will lose quality because DVD is standard definition. You need a blu-ray player or PS3 to be able to play HD content and original quality
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    and DVD is MPeg2 with resolution 720x480 for 4:3 or 16:9.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. JIUVA
    Search Comp PM
    My camcorder is a SAMSUNG SMXF40BN (I know is not a super camcoder....)
    Quote Quote