VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a H.264 MP4 w/AC3 audio that I captured with EyeTV3 and the Hauppauge HD PVR on a Mac. When I open with MPEG Streamclip to edit commericials everything plays back fine - audio and video are good. After cutting commercials, I do a simple Save As. The resulting fine plays back video great, but no audio. When I do this same process with H.264 MP4 w/AAC audio everything works.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does mediainfo or other video identifiers see any audio track in the edited mp4?

You could also try cut with avidemux.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Does mediainfo or other video identifiers see any audio track in the edited mp4?

You could also try cut with avidemux.
    I don't have mediainfo, but a simple Get Info or showing the info in QT shows no audio track.

I'll look into avidemux. Of note, I just tried SimpleMovieX and that worked just fine. I could cut, save as with no re-encoding, and the AC3 multi channel audio was still present.

I just like to stick with the tried and true MPEG StreamClip when possible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was there any resolution to this problem?

It is EXACTLY the same issue I am having and Squared5 are simply not responding even though it appears to me to be a bug. Or is there a solution? How can I make MPEGStreamclip actually save an AC3 audio track?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It works for me, Windows 7 32 bit and I have the official QT mpeg codec not that that should matter. How about permission settings. Have you tried running the program as Administrator?
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Mac only problem, not because of any shortcomings on the Mac, but even though MPEGStreamclip is available for both, there will be many differences in how it is operating, with different code involved.

I'm not sure I see why permissions could have anything to do with it. MPEGStreamclip can actually play the video, with audio so it has access to all the codecs it needs, but actually saving the file shouldn't need any codecs. It's just passing through the video and audio, without any decoding or re-encoding required.

But it IS something about the AC3 audio as it works with other audio types. It's just AC3 that it fails on.

It's obviously not an isolated case, but I wonder if it's a problem for everyone or has anyone been successful saving such a file with AC3 audio, on a Mac.
    Quote Quote