VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Background:
    Few days ago I saw this guy post a 84 MB video (let's say default.mp4) online that had the same quality as another 164 MB default.format video. I asked the guy how he did it. He sent me the instructions full of command lines. I am guessing the instructions are pretty detailed for an expert, but being a noob, I decided to try out 7 GUI based video conversion softwares with the same settings (to make this experiment as controlled as possible) to see how each performs, and how good of a size to quality ratio I can get.

Reason for choosing H.264:
    After lots of research, I found H.264 to have the best size-quality ratio.

The softwares are:
    • AVS Video Converter 6.3 (Commercial)
    • FormatFactory 2.5 (Free)
    • iWisoft Free Video Converter (Free)
    • MediaCoder 0.7.5.4740 x64 (Free & Open Source)
    • SUPER (Free)
    • WinAVI AIO Converter 1.1.0.3897 (Commercial)
    • Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate 6.0.4 (Commercial)

Subject:
    A 1.1 GB 720p mkv video.

Objective:
    Get the best size-quality ratio at 480p within a reasonable time frame.

Note:
    I have heard good things about Handbrake, but I heard experts say that the GUI does not produce as good of a result as the CLI. And I am CLI-phobic. I have used Handbrake GUI in the past, and I didn't really get a good size to quality ratio within a reasonable time.

Here are my findings:
    7zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?4yxy2etly5i7f63
    Zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?l14f9uz06qqeqv9

I have made a folder for each software.
    In each folder you will find-
    - a screenshot of the settings
    - a screenshot of the converted video
    - technical info about the converted video
    - a small summary of my findings about the conversion process and the output.

If you are too lazy, or don't have time, here are my final thoughts:

Winner: MediaCoder
    I found MediaCoder to be the most powerful of all these softwares. It produced similar size-quality ratio (if not better) as the other top performers, within similar time frame. And MediaCoder did it at 720p while others did it at 480p. I later ran another trial on MediaCoder with some tweaked settings for better quality. MediaCoder produced a file with better size-quality ratio, but it took just over 3 hours to do it (average being 1 hour).

Honorable Mention: FormatFactory
    FormatFactory produced very similar size-quality ratio as MediaCoder, at 480p, and within a very reasonable time frame.

Disclaimer:
    Better results can (probably) be achieved with all of these softwares by tweaking the settings. But for the sake of controlled experiment, the settings on all 7 of the softwares were kept as same as possible.
    I am also posting this on some other video conversion forums to get feedback from multiple angles.
    Last edited by srk; 12th Oct 2010 at 13:39.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All are probably using x264 encoder but with different configs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    All are probably using x264 encoder but with different configs.
    Yep...the gui is irrelevant. It's whatever the author made the default settings, I suppose.
    Quote Quote