VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just built a new PC and the the intention was to built it robust enough to handle encoding tasks. My single core AMD 64 processor with 32 bit XP was not cutting it! No game playing, email or office suites on this baby.

Intel i7 processor, Ausus Mobo, SSD OS drive, Win 7 64 bit, 6Gig of memory, 2 500 gig 64 meg cache drives for encoding tasks, Blue Ray DVD Dr, ATI Graphic card with 1 Gig of memory.

My question is the software suite for it, the essentials, I don't want to bloat it or cause instability problems by having codec
    conflicts. Freebie programs that do the job well 1st, then commercial products.

So far I have HandBrake, MediaInfo, Megui, Divx Player and Encoder.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are you going to be converting or encoding?

Be sure to include multiavchd if you plan to do avchd anytime. Of course IMGBURN as well.

For a jack of all trades tool format factory can't be beat in my books.

Super and xvid4psp are also handy.

Don't forget mpchc and vlc of course if you don't have a pro dvd/bluray player on your pc yet.

Also do you use anydvd? Don't forget that if you do.

Plus ac3filter and ffdshow should be added if you haven't done so already - as well as gspot or mediainfo.

What other basics am I missing?

As for codecs just install what you plan on using. Divx and xvid are no brainers. Any thing else should be on an as needed basis.

Edit - avstodvd is another great one for dvd conversion - does high def downconverting to dvd very well with hcenc or quenc.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your input. I want "A lean mean running machine" With the ability to handle the most common conversion tasks.

You have put me on the right track.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Don't forget Haali, along with ffdshow. And Avisynth, required by some encoder programs (e.g. BDRB).

Depends what you want to do. If you're getting into high definition, then you're wise to get the most CPU horsepower you can swing. For Blu-Ray and AVCHD, first you need a decrypter. AnyDVDHD or DVDFab are the best choices if you're willing to go payware. Otherwise, there's DVDFabHDDecrypter (free) and DVDFabPasskey (been using the latter for months now, free while it's beta). For BD/AVCHD encoding, no sense in paying for anything, the free programs available here are as good as anything. They also typically use the same set of ancillary freeware tools like x.264, tsMuxer, Avisynth, etc.

Really, editing software is where I'd put my software budget money. I'll let those members here that are more familiar with the pro and prosumer choices to recommend one. If you don't look to doing more than home theater and HTPC type stuff, then you don't really need editing soft. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Laserbelly View Post
    I have just built a new PC and the the intention was to built it robust enough to handle encoding tasks. My single core AMD 64 processor with 32 bit XP was not cutting it! No game playing, email or office suites on this baby.

Intel i7 processor, Ausus Mobo, SSD OS drive, Win 7 64 bit, 6Gig of memory, 2 500 gig 64 meg cache drives for encoding tasks, Blue Ray DVD Dr, ATI Graphic card with 1 Gig of memory.

My question is the software suite for it, the essentials, I don't want to bloat it or cause instability problems by having codec
    conflicts. Freebie programs that do the job well 1st, then commercial products.

So far I have HandBrake, MediaInfo, Megui, Divx Player and Encoder.

Thanks in advance.
    first of all that is one sweet rig, as far as free apps, my personal favorites are media coder, xmedia recode and avidemux, i personally believe that those three eliminate the need for commercial apps for most hobbyists.
    Quote Quote