VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

1) I'm in Australia. I have some region 4 discs but they're NTSC. Now, one of the discs plays ok on my LG DVD player, but choppy/jerky. However, I'd like to rip it to my Hard drive to have a chance at doing something with ifoedit, or maybe converting to AVI. But ifoedit, and the other 10 rippers which I've tried don't even recognize there's a disc in may laptop DVD drive, even though it plays ok in the TV, and other discs are recognised in the laptop drive. What can I do? Is it a dud disc? Shouldn't my laptop drive recognize it even if it's a NTSC disc?

2) I've been trying to convert some other DVDs which I own to AVI. It usually seems to take around 4-5 hours for a 100 minute disc. Is this normal? It seems excessive to me, but I'm new at this.

Many thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One step at a time.

Rip the disc to your hard drive with DVDFabDecrypter(the FREE portion of the program).
    Quote Quote  
  3. G'day hech54

Already tried that. DVDFabDecrypter won't read it...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is the disc recognized as in Windows?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well when it starts loading the DVD indicator light starts flashing on and off as per normal, and then after about 15 seconds, the light stays lit, and if I go to my D drive and explore, it shows nothing. Like there's not even a disc inserted. But there definitely is, and the same disc plays (not well) on the DVD player and other discs load fine in this laptop DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A part from software such as isobuster and others about all you can do to recover that disc is to try it in different systems ... see if a friends system can detect it ... if not it may simply be one of those slightly defective disc's ... unless it was a burnt copy.

As for the time it takes ... if you had a system with a cpu being the equivalent of double your current system you might expect that time to drop by almost half ... however ... laptops which are not connected to mains power will conserve battery power and run at half the full processing power.

Add to the above any inclusions such as video filters being applied and the time extends further once more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the reply. I got isobuster, but it also didn't recognise anything. The discs are brand new. I guess I just got unlucky. Thanks for the answers.
    Quote Quote