VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I have some video files that I have on my computer from my sports reporting job and I want to get them burned onto dvd, DVD burning programs frustrate me to no end, so I had been using a pc to video ez box with RCA cables and the whole 9 yards to hook up my laptop to the dvd player. I am now ready to upgrade the quality a bit and I have just invested in an HDMI cable but I cant figure out how to get the image on my tv to record to my DVD player. My DVD player is a Panasonic DMR-EZ47V and My Lap top is a basic HP.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More info on the laptops input/output features required ... please specify the model

According to panasonic ... you can connect the computer to the front svideo (or av ports) or to AV1 (backside) ... if svideo you will also need audio cable (normally referred to as a Y cable) ... stereo jack on one end and two rca male jacks on the other in order to send audio from the laptop to the device.

A: Turn laptop on (for any recording purposes it must always be first powered up device)
    B: Connect laptop to front inputs (refer to "according to panasonic" paragraph as to connect method required)
    C: Turn the panasonic unit and tv on
    D: On the tv ... select the input which shows you the panasonic unit.
    E: On the panasonic unit ... choose the required input ... either 1: svideo , 2: front av , 3: AV1 (back panel)

Again for E it will depend on which of the inputs you had chosen to setup.

You should once this is setup correctly see the computers desktop... also test and audio file ... if the audio comes through the tv then all's well and ready.

F: Set recording method ... tape or dvd
    G: Start the recording process on the panasonic and the start the playback of required files on the computer.

Note:

If while recording the colors on the tv appear to bleed then on the tv you should switch to any other channel which dose not show you what is be recorded on the panasonic ... this will not affect the recording process

As for the HDMI cable ... Refer to page 15 of the user manual which can be found on the panasonic site at the bottom of this page > here
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the video files on your computer, you just need to convert them to a DVD compatible format, author them to the DVD format and burn to DVD. Copying a DVD to your computer and backing it up to a DVD is a different issue.

Not sure what a HDMI cable has to do with all this. If your laptop or DVD player had HDMI out, just connect that to your video display. Using HDMI for a recording input requires a card that accepts HDMI inputs, and that is very rare.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I thought I had typed that, Model number is: Dv61113us
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    If you have the video files on your computer, you just need to convert them to a DVD compatible format, author them to the DVD format and burn to DVD. Copying a DVD to your computer and backing it up to a DVD is a different issue.

Not sure what a HDMI cable has to do with all this. If your laptop or DVD player had HDMI out, just connect that to your video display. Using HDMI for a recording input requires a card that accepts HDMI inputs, and that is very rare.
    Its just video files from my work, I dont do DVD copying. I hate using DVD burners on my laptop because it takes FOREVER to burn a simple 2 hour DVD, its just horrible, Is there a program you can recommend to me that will burn DVD is a quick fashion? If not I find it much easier to just hook up my laptop to the DVD burner and watch the videos as it burns onto DVD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs View Post
    More info on the laptops input/output features required ... please specify the model

According to panasonic ... you can connect the computer to the front svideo (or av ports) or to AV1 (backside) ... if svideo you will also need audio cable (normally referred to as a Y cable) ... stereo jack on one end and two rca male jacks on the other in order to send audio from the laptop to the device.

A: Turn laptop on (for any recording purposes it must always be first powered up device)
    B: Connect laptop to front inputs (refer to "according to panasonic" paragraph as to connect method required)
    C: Turn the panasonic unit and tv on
    D: On the tv ... select the input which shows you the panasonic unit.
    E: On the panasonic unit ... choose the required input ... either 1: svideo , 2: front av , 3: AV1 (back panel)

Again for E it will depend on which of the inputs you had chosen to setup.

You should once this is setup correctly see the computers desktop... also test and audio file ... if the audio comes through the tv then all's well and ready.

F: Set recording method ... tape or dvd
    G: Start the recording process on the panasonic and the start the playback of required files on the computer.

Note:

If while recording the colors on the tv appear to bleed then on the tv you should switch to any other channel which dose not show you what is be recorded on the panasonic ... this will not affect the recording process

As for the HDMI cable ... Refer to page 15 of the user manual which can be found on the panasonic site at the bottom of this page > here
    Thank you for the help, but I have been all ready buring DVD's this way with the use of a PC to TV EX box, but I am looking up grade the quality, hence why I went with the HDMI cable, but now its looking like I dont be able to record with this cable. What is a good way to get my computer on my TV with good quality video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is recognizing the differences between "resolutions" and the "support" or lack of.

Say the laptop is running at 1200 x 900 ... the panasonic is restricted to recording in resolutions as set for "dvd" which means "smaller" resolutions than what the laptops is.

On this link you'll find information relating to capture devices capable or recording well above dvd resolutions ... and can be pricey... in general there for desktop systems.

Or you could use software in two ways ... also depending on system speed.

1: Dvdflick ... maybe the easiest all in one ... you'll need a bit of hd space for temporary files, ect.
    2: Screen recording software ...

ZD Soft Screen Recorder
    Free Screen Recorder
    Camstudio
    Microsofts expression (free version limited to 10 minute video capture sessions)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I all ready tried DVD Flick and it has the same problem I have with all DVD burners. I left it running for 2 hours and it was on 25% complete. I am not going to do that to my laptop and leave it on all day to burn one dvd.

With the HDMI cable I have the image on my tv right now and it is perfect, I want to know how I can get that image from my tv onto my DVD player so I can record.
    Quote Quote  
  9. What make and model of laptop have you got? (Dv61113us doesn't bring anything up in Google except this thread!) Does it have a dvd burner built in? What operating system are you using? How much memory and free hard drive space have you got? What format, resolutions, and bitrates are your video files that you want to put onto DVD? Without this info you probably won't get much useful help. If you're running windows then media info or GSpot should give the information about the video files, CPU-Z will give the info about your laptop.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It appears to be a HP Pavilion laptop. Can't find a DV6-1113us listed at the HP US site, but there is a DV5-1113us: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01566850&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpi...reg_R1002_USEN

The product number would be better for identifying the exact model as HP has a lot of models, some very similar.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "With the HDMI cable I have the image on my tv right now and it is perfect, I want to know how I can get that image from my tv onto my DVD player so I can record"

Nope ... no matter what ... "that image" would be down scaled as mentioned before.

About the only thing which comes close and for value is the AVerTV USB HD DVR which can record 1080i however you would need another system that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements as the laptop is already serving media out.
    Quote Quote  
  12. DVD recorders only have analog inputs, meaning you can only record from the RCA composite input and if you're lucky, S-video input. HDMI is only an output. If you want better than S-video, find yourself a Philips DVDR985. It has component inputs and can record in progressive scan. You won't be able to record in anything higher than 480p, that's the limit for DVD.
    Quote Quote