VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Really stumped over this problem

I am trying to convert an MKV file to AVI using Xvid4PSP.
    This file has "burned-in" subtitles using the SPU codec (please attached snapshot of codec information from VLC player)

When I used Xvid4PSP to convert the video, I obtained an AVI file but without the subtitles.
    This was regardless of whether I used latest beta version Xvid4PSP or the current stable version 5.0.

I have tried to use MKVExtractGUI2 to extract out the subtitles and add it as a separate subtitle file during the conversion but I obtained an error message (see other attached file).

Does anyone know how to convert such an MKV file to AVI with the subtitles?

Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VLC snapshot.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	XviD4PSP 5.0.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	3783  

Quote Quote  
  2. If you can't open your subtitle file in Notepad and read it then you can't use TextSub with it. What kind of a subtitle file is it? If it's IDX/SUB, then you use VobSub to open it in the script, rather than TextSub as in your current script. I have no idea what the SPU codec is.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If you can't open your subtitle file in Notepad and read it then you can't use TextSub with it. What kind of a subtitle file is it? If it's IDX/SUB, then you use VobSub to open it in the script, rather than TextSub as in your current script. I have no idea what the SPU codec is.
    hi, thanks for the reply, this is what I see from the media information of XviD4PSP.
    I have used MKVExtractGUI2 to extract out the subtitles into Idx/Sub files.

I have downloaded VobSub as per your advice.
    How should I go about using this program for Xvid4PSP?

Text
    ID : 3
    Format : VobSub
    Codec ID : S_VOBSUB
    Codec ID/Info : The same subtitle format used on DVDs
    Language : Chinese
    Quote Quote  
  4. You shouldn't have had to download anything as whatever you need has already been installed for you to be able to use TextSub. Just change the TextSub line in the script to VobSub and see what happens.
    Quote Quote