VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This may seem very basic, but I have the following questions:

1. Captured VHS into DV using Canopus ADVC 110 and Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5. Edited the video by putting some transitions, adding stock video, audio...etc. the next step, for going to DVD, I have 3 choices:

a. Export the final video into a Movie (AVI) file, and then use some standalone encoder such as Canopus ProCoder, then author using a software such as Adobe Encore (or) TMPGENC DVD Author to get the final VOB files.
    b. Export the final video into MPEG-DVd by using the built-in "Adobe Media Encoder" in Premiere Pro (which I think gives m2v files), then use Encore DVD or TMPGENC DVd Author.
    C. Use the Premiere Pro's "Export to DVD" command from the timeline (without exporting the final video into AVI file) to directly transcode and burn to a DVD

Of the above 3 methods, will the methods "c" result in greater quality in picture when compared to method "a" and "b" because we are directly exporting the video from timeline (without actually joining all the parts and kind of constructing the final AVI) assuming the same quality encoding settings are set for all the methods?

Also, while using method "c", Premiere Pro reports that the final output will be around 4.38 GB for my video (of 1 hour duration), howeve when I tried the method "b", it reports the final size is only 2.7 GB. why the file size difference? Is it losing quality somewhere? also, the output dialog box states only m2v file as the output. Where has the audio gone? Do I need to export the audio separately? I selected "Export Sequence" so ideally it should be exporting the entire video inclusive of audio.

I have TMPGENC DVD Author with me (very old version) but not Encore DVD. Is the TMPGENC inferior to Encore in terms of encoding? Also my Premiere Pro comes with built-in "MainConcept MPEG" encoder.

2. Is my understanding correct that Authoring is different from Encoding?

Encoding = Converts the AVI file into DVD Compliant files (m2v???)
    Authoring = Takes the DVD Compliant files, puts menus and navigation and creates the final Video_TS Files
    Burning = Simply burns the Video_TS files onto a physical disc.

3. I heard that Premiere Pro can write to a Disk Image as DVD. However I couldn't see that option in my version of Premiere Pro. how to achieve that? Asking this because several times the Premiere Pro's 'Export to DVD' function returned an error message "Burning Error..." after several hours of transcoding.

My main objective is to get the DVD with highest picture quality.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't use step C. Go with B. I'm not going to rewrite the reasons why; they are already discussed in the other thread you started:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/326721-Premiere-Pro-Export-to-DVD-Taking-forever

Stick with that one thread. You don't need to keep starting new forum subjects for similar issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that Alt b is the path intended by Adobe for a final DVD product. Alt A is used if you want to use a different MPeg2 encoder.

Alt C was only intended for a quick timeline preview disc. (e.g. for client evaluation/approval) before the final encode.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nharikrishna View Post

Also, while using method "c", Premiere Pro reports that the final output will be around 4.38 GB for my video (of 1 hour duration), howeve when I tried the method "b", it reports the final size is only 2.7 GB. why the file size difference? Is it losing quality somewhere? also, the output dialog box states only m2v file as the output. Where has the audio gone? Do I need to export the audio separately? I selected "Export Sequence" so ideally it should be exporting the entire video inclusive of audio.
    Method C is using the fastest encoding full bit rate (~9500 Kb/s) CBR setting hence the 1 hour duration.

The Adobe MPeg encoder (Mainconcept) has a default of 6000 Kb/s average VBR (1 hr 37 minutes). You can adjust it up or down from there. VBR encoding takes longer and is usually done with two passes.

Back when Premiere Pro 1.5 was published, the typical processor was a Pentium III or entry P4. VBR encoding was an overnight prospect. The idea of a "quick DVD" allowed short scenes to be viewed post encode for editorial or quality approval.

If your goal is a one hour or less DVD, you can set the Adobe Encoder to CBR 9500 Kbps and be done in one pass.

Audio is usually done in a second encoding pass (default was 224 Kbps mp2 back then). If you want, you can include audio in the mpg file by selecting "include audio" at the top of the audio tab.

I have TMPGENC DVD Author with me (very old version) but not Encore DVD. Is the TMPGENC inferior to Encore in terms of encoding? Also my Premiere Pro comes with built-in "MainConcept MPEG" encoder.

2. Is my understanding correct that Authoring is different from Encoding?

Encoding = Converts the AVI file into DVD Compliant files (m2v???)
    Authoring = Takes the DVD Compliant files, puts menus and navigation and creates the final Video_TS Files
    Burning = Simply burns the Video_TS files onto a physical disc.
    Normally, DVD MPeg2 and audio encoding is done in Premiere Pro's "Adobe Media Encoder". The result is a fully encoded "asset" that is imported to Encore or another authoring program.

3. I heard that Premiere Pro can write to a Disk Image as DVD. However I couldn't see that option in my version of Premiere Pro. how to achieve that? Asking this because several times the Premiere Pro's 'Export to DVD' function returned an error message "Burning Error..." after several hours of transcoding.

My main objective is to get the DVD with highest picture quality.

Thanks for your help.
    They may have been referring to Premiere Elements that combines editing and authoring in one program.
    Premiere Pro (early versions) only did the quick disc. Later versions of Premiere Pro added limited authoring features but the intention was still an evaluation disc not a final product. In classic DVD production workflow, a different person did the authoring.

Highest quality will be 9500 Kb/s CBR (max one hour per DVD5 disc). To get to 9500 Kb/s for video, audio must be compressed to mp2 or AC3.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok thanks alot Filmboss80 & edDV. The explanations are really helpful and clarify my questions.

And apologies for posting the same question in two different threads.

I have now "Exported Movie" from Premiere Pro as an AVI file (Alt 'a'), "transcoded" with DVDit to produce the final VOB files then burnt the DVD with Nero.

I will explore the bit rate setting of 9500 Kb/s tonight.

Regards
    Quote Quote