VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Not sure if this needs to be in capturing or authoring section, but here is what I got going...

We have a Hauppauge HD PVR (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0292609) and a Canon XLH1 camcorder. We use this for recording church services for distribution. I am desperately looking for a piece of software that can take a 16:9 video source from the HD PVR and throw it directly onto a DVD-R/DVD+R disc. No menu needed. I have that particular PVR because it is one of a few devices that I have found to have a component input for recording. Our camera has a component out with decent video quality. As of now, I can capture only to a .TS, .MP4, or .M2TS file with the given software. Converting to a DVD format afterwards takes longer than the actual church service. Is it possible to do what we need in this 21st century. I have exhausted my research capabilities, but would not be surprised if I have overlooked something. Perhaps something that can capture into a VIDEO_TS/AUDIO_TS format. Please let me know what might be some solutions. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    didn't you read the specs before buying the HDpvr?
    Specifications Features Record to 1080i with H.264 hardware compression; Record from HD cable & satellite receivers to your PC over USB; Burn recordings to Blu-ray disc

it only does h264, dvd is SD 720x480 mpeg-2. get an SD capture device if you want to make dvds, one with s-video and captures direct to mpeg-2 is about the best you'll get for quick SD dvds.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 8th Oct 2010 at 09:27.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. The HD PVR can capture 480i from an SD component camera as 480i h.264. If the camera is putting out 1080i, the HD PVR will capture as 1080i. I'm not aware of any software that will cap either of those, convert to DVD compatible MPEG 2, and record directly to DVD.

If the camera is putting out 480i you can use something like this to convert to s-video or composite

http://www.svideo.com/ypbpr2svideo.html

Then run the output of that directly to a DVD recorder.

If the camera is putting out HD you'll need a much more expensive converter.
    Last edited by jagabo; 8th Oct 2010 at 08:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the xlh1 has an s-video out port that exports SD no matter what the cam is set to record.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want sd-dvd you could either use a settop dvd recorder that has svideo in and record directly to disc or get a usb capture device like the pinnacle hd stick (I think hauppauge now makes the ones pinnacle used to).

I know that my pinnacle hd stick has svideo input and has a direct to dvd recording option. It allows you to record directly to a dvdr while it is capturing the video - chapters can even be set.

---------------------

But as was already stated why did you buy the hdpvr if you need a sd-dvd from it?

-----------------------

Also you can simply burn the recorded m2ts, ts, or mp4 file that was recorded from the hauppauge hdpvr directly to dvdr as long as it fits on either a single layer or dual layer dvdr. However it will only be playable on either a computer with enough power to handle high def video or a ps3, xbox 360 (the mp4 format only) or a bluray player that can read m2ts or ts files directly. If you have a bluray player but it can't read m2ts or ts files you can convert the recordings from the hdpvr to avchd and it will retain the high definition quality that you recorded in. But it will take time to convert the file - how much depends on how fast and how many cores your computer has.

You can also output to sd-dvd from the arcsoft software that is included with the hd-pvr. But that will also take time to convert.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    thanks guys for all the suggestions. Does s-video output 16:9 video properly so that set-top dvd recorders capture it correctly?

yoda313, what kind of pinnacle hd stick do you have that can record directly to dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ruslenko View Post
    thanks guys for all the suggestions. Does s-video output 16:9 video properly so that set-top dvd recorders capture it correctly?
    Some devices will output an anamorphic 16:9 image, others 16:9 letterboxed into a 4:3 frame. You'll have to test your camcorder to see which it does. Maybe it has an option to select which.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since the camera has a Firewire/1394 port you should be able to avoid digital-to-analog video degradation by using that port to capture (real time) on a PC or a standalone DVD recorder. I've used both Lite-On and Sony DVD recorders to capture video via firewire. IMHO I found Sony to be less flexible when it comes to making additional DVD copies from the master due to some sort of protection scheme from Sony.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ruslensko
    yoda313, what kind of pinnacle hd stick do you have that can record directly to dvd?
    I don't have the exact model in front of me. Its one of there series that is a hd usb stick. The hd is a bit of misnomer for the dvd portion. It will record into sd-dvd directly to dvd while capturing if you want - it can also record to an mpeg2 file or a few other formats for psp and ipod if I remember correctly.

As I mentioned I don't think pinnacle is making those anymore. Check out hauppauges usb sticks. I think they probably also have a direct to dvd feature - you'll have to check the individual sticks to be sure.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote