VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need a coaxial cable to connect the cable jack in the wall to my High Def Tivo Premiere.

I have to run this along my floor. I would prefer a thin coaxial cable(it won't show as much) but I do not want to sacrifice quality. Is it okay if I buy the "thin" product?

thin coaxial cable
    http://www.amazon.com/23278-Ultra-Coaxial-Video-Cable/dp/B0002YE35M

regular coaxial cable
    http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Shielded-Coaxial-Digital-Connector/dp/B003FVJYF8/ref...6467473&sr=1-7

Thanks,

TC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know you will love this but it depends...
    coax cable has a loss per meter or a foot in your case. without knowing the spec of the cable you can't say. I have seen coax cable 1/2 inch which has a better spec than one that's 2inch. unless you are stuck for cash buy both and see before you install it
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The cable needs to be 25 feet long.

I would be willing to purchase from amazon either one of the cables that I linked above. The thin one would be nice but I do not want to use that if it lowers my video quality.

Is there any way to know, other than a basic trial and error?

TC
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In reading the reviews from the users on Amazon, one user indicated the thin cable didn't work for HD signals and had to be replaced. Others indicated that it worked just fine for them.

Garryward makes sense.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not without know the cable type part number . I'm in the Telecommunicate industry and we take great pains in making sure that we have the right cable. you maybe able to find a company that will make you a cable with a good spec, the better the spec the more it will cost. the amazon cables are from here by the looks of it.http://www.acephotodigital.com give them a ring and tell them what you want if they can't help remember google is your buddy
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  6. I agree that it depends. From some other video person I read that if you are sending "channels" across the cable like satellite tv/cable tv you should use RG-6. If a video signal, use RG-59. Not knowing what you are sending across, but assuming it sounds like you are making a component set of cables. Try these guys out, good prices and I haven't had a problem with them: http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=rg-59&x=0&y=0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No.
    Use RG6 for all applications. RG59 is flimsy unshielded garbage.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree with smurf.

edit
    I also have a TiVoHD (not the premiere but the regular HD model that came before it) and I only have RG6 ran through my house.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  9. The flimsy stuff he has a link to is not RG-59. RG-59 is shielded.

I agree that RG-6 is the way to go in many applications, but I have used RG-59 in just as many applications. Use the right tool for the right job at the right price.

So I would agree NOT to get the thin flimsy stuff he has a link to.

Upon reading closer, why I didn't notice at first, since you are connecting signal cable to the tivo, definitely use RG-6 as the others have stated.
    Last edited by jeffboyrd; 7th Oct 2010 at 20:14. Reason: extra words needed
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think RG59 RG6 is best from my opinion .
    Cablin
    Quote Quote