VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, I have quite a project and I definitely need all the help I can get. I'm pretty new to this, so I would truly appreciate if you guys could walk me through step by step and recommend what programs to use. Currently, I have Sony Sound Forge 9 and Sony Vegas 9 Pro.

Here's my project...

I want to take a studio production DVD of The Terminator and replace its audio entirely. The Terminator DVD has a 5.1 Dolby Digital mix as well as an original mono recording. I would like to replace this mono recording with a new mono soundtrack. Or, if possible, just add the new mono soundtrack in addition, so the DVD will now have 3 audio options, 5.1 Dolby Digital, original mono, and my new mono.

My new mono recording is in two pieces (two files). Both files are 44.1KHz LPCM flac. These flac files have been taken from the THX laser disc of The Terminator. I'm doing this because The Terminator happens to be my favorite movie of all time and I cannot stand the poor quality of the original mono track on the DVD and I despise the 5.1 Dolby Digital track because it has been completely changed and butchered. The recording from the laser disc is fantastic, so I would love to use that.

I need much guidance in how to go about converting the 44.1KHz LPCM flac files, to a 48KHz LPCM file. Then syncing this new file with the original DVD and making a new copy of the movie. What are my options here? Can I remove the original mono track on the DVD and replace it with my new one? Or can I just add a third audio option? I don't want to mess with the original DVD video as to not degrade it. All I want is to either add a new audio track, or replace the existing mono one.

How do I go about syncing this new sound to the original DVD's video?

And How do I convert the 44.1KHz LPCM flac files to a 48KHz LPCM file. As I understand, DVD calls for a 48KHz spec.

Thank you so much for all the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes 48khz is required for dvd.

You should check out eac3to. I don't know if it handles lpcm but it is a great audio converter tool and should be the first place you should try. Be warned though, its not straightforward and you may stare at the screen for awhile before you get the hang of it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that most if not all video capture devices will let you record audio at 48 KHz so even though the laserdisc audio is at 44.1 KHz on the laserdisc, it could be recorded at 48 KHz during a PC capture. That would be the easiest way to do it.

eac3to is a good suggestion. Since you just have a mono LPCM file, many audio editors can easily convert that to 48 KHz. CoolEdit can do it. I'm sure that Audacity (free) can do it as well.
    Quote Quote