VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to fource 16:9 ...

I have uses quite a few programs to generate 16:9 content.

My original source is 16:9 from a HD video camera
    I have used quite a few authoring programs with DVDStyler coming though most stable and easyest for me to use.
    I specificaly select 16:9 when authoring.
    The problem is that when I view it on the TV through a normal DVD player, it squeezes the iage to 4:3 and I have to force it on the TV remote to 16:9

Thanks guys
    G
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In fact I have checked it with infoedit, and it seems like it has 4:3 all over it ?!

DVD styler is perfect, but all I want is to let the TV know that the video is 16:9

G
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Giorgis View Post
    In fact I have checked it with infoedit, and it seems like it has 4:3 all over it ?!

DVD styler is perfect, but all I want is to let the TV know that the video is 16:9

G
    You need to set the 16:9 flag in your MPeg2 files before or during authoring.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, that sounds like a plan. How do I do that. I am now also playing with PgcEdit and it looks amazing in all that I can edit.
    Last edited by Giorgis; 3rd Oct 2010 at 18:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, that sounds like a plan. How do I do that. I am now alos playing with PgcEdit and it looks amazing in all that I can edit.
    I'm not familiar with your software.

What is your camcorder?

In most edit and authoring software you set aspect ratio in project, file properties and encoder settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PgcEdit seems to allow the editing of the DVD .ifo files. It allows you to go to the bare metal.

My camera is a JVC EVERIO GZ-??? I don't have it here. It records at true HD.
    I edit the raw files with Corel VideoStudio Pro X3.

I am now in the final step. When I author my DVD with DVDStyler, it seems to make the TV think that the output is at 4:3

(Samsung Series 7 LCD, LG DVD player about 3 years old)

I should be testing the output of PgcEdit soon.

G
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PgcEdit seems to allow the editing of the DVD .ifo files. It allows you to go to the bare metal.

My camera is a JVC EVERIO GZ-??? I don't have it here. It records at true HD.
    I edit the raw files with Corel VideoStudio Pro X3.

I am now in the final step. When I author my DVD with DVDStyler, it seems to make the TV think that the output is at 4:3

(Samsung Series 7 LCD, LG DVD player about 3 years old)

I should be testing the output of PgcEdit soon.

G
    Somewhere along the workflow line the the software lost track that this was 16:9 video. HD defaults to 16:9 but when you go SD you need to control aspect ratio.

SD software defaults to 4:3. My guess is when you downsized your software lost track that this was 16:9 video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DVDStyler is probably the problem but make sure Videostudio is set to 16:9.
    Before you burn use MediaInfo on the VOB's to make sure they are 16:9(not windowed 4:3), also use IfoEdit to set the proper flags and check "Letterboxed".
    Last edited by MOVIEGEEK; 3rd Oct 2010 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yeah, PGCEdit can also change the IFOs so that the DVD plays as 16:9. Open the final DVD before burning, right-click on the video and hit "Domain Streams Attributes". In the new screen hit 16:9 and Automatic Letterbox. OK back to the main screen and Save. Test in a DVD player (one that plays the IFOs and not the VOBs) before burning:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	PGCEdit.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	3698  

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spot on ...
    I have just finished authoring the DVD, and I was coming here to post exactly that. Thanks for your help guys ...
    It is amazing what cool software is out there if. This one is donation ware, I guess worth the donation

G
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you find that you have already encoded footage without the flag you can avoid a re-encode by using DVD Patcher (mpeg/VOB) or ReStream (elementary video streams) to correct the headers in the videos. Very quick.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote