VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any simple way to do it?
    I don't care if it doubles the framerate or not, I just want a video that looks good and sharp - I really hate the vertical bars showing in moving scenes, it's distracting while watching and produces bad screenshots.

Also, both VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod have ceased working, they'll start just fine but upon opening/playing videos they crash. I've just noticed it while trying to open random videos today and dunno what caused it, so they might be out of question to do the conversion.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you mean horizontal bars

------------------------
    ---------------------------
    ------------------------
    ---------------------------

No, you really can't go from 1080i to 1080p and get really sharp images. The process is called deinterlacing, and it can be done, however in all cases you will get a softer image. You either end up dropping every second line, then resizing up, or trying to average the interlaced areas. You will not get an interlaced video to look like a truly progressive video. Some can do a decent job, but they take a lot of time to run and means re-encoding your video. You also need to use avisynth to use the best deinterlacers, and unless you want to re-encode to an AVI container, virtualdub is very much the wrong tool to be using.

You could try using a better player that deinterlaces on the fly. At least then you aren't doing permanent damage to your files and aren't waiting for many hours for them to be processed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote