VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there. I have a WMV that I would like to burn to DVD. I know Windows DVD Maker would handle the file easily, but I need more robust Chaptering Options. I've heard Encore (I'm running CS4) doesn't like WMVs, and it gave me errors too, so I tried using AVS Video Converter to turn it into anything else. I tried going for MPEGs then MP4s and both came out the same way: audio was correct the whole way through, but the video seemed to keep looping the first ~15 minutes over and over, becoming irrelevant to what was being discussed in the audio.

My latest attempt was to use AVS to create DVD files. But, when I came back later to my sleeping computer, I awakened it and AVS wasn't responding, so I don't think it ever finished the conversion. (Why is my computer going to sleep in the middle of processing something? I've noticed it with a big FTP upload; the computer went to sleep before it finished...)

So, am I on the right track with converting the WMV, and if so, why is it not converting well?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try another converter

super
    format factory
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK, I tried Format Factory and converted it to an AVI. The AVI wasn't the greatest (couldn't scrub through w/o crashing VLC player), but it looks like it did the job. Then I tried to bring it into Encore and I was told I didn't have the decoders used for the file. How is that possible when I just made it? Is there a format better than AVI I should convert to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try making a mpeg2 file for dvd from your source. I'm sure cs4 must recognize mpeg2 - it can create standard defintion dvds can't it? Try that from your original file - it should like it.

Use all to mpg output option in format factory. Choose the dvd small template and make sure you use ntsc (since you are in the US).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. That did it!

Also, in many of my attempts to convert a file, they were coming out with NO length info in the properties (and missing other info too). Fearing the process kept getting interrupted by screensavers, hibernation, etc. I finally disabled everything so that I was certain it had its chance. That may have helped too, as this latest file had all its necessary info. And it imported into Encore beautifully!

Thanks all for you help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by creativepixel
    Thanks all for you help!
    You're welcome.

I'm glad you got it working.
    Quote Quote