VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a captured AVI, I need to remove the start where you see me start my screen cap software and the end when I press stop.

It was captured in XVID (gave good output for the final SWF conversion) and anyway I followed guides like this:

https://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/virtualdubedit

BUt it doesnt seem to trim my video, the output just ignores my start and end points if I use Direct stream copy. I seem to loose quality quickly if I recompress.

MY steps are:

1 - Load video
    2 - Mark in where I want to start
    3 - Mark out where I want to end
    4 - Set video compression to direct stream copy
    5 - Save as AVI

End result always contains the beginning and end I tried to crop out.

Can someone explain where im going wrong. Havent fiddled with vid editing in a while and everything im doing right now is going wrong! thought this would be easy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Direct Stream Copy will only cut on I (key) frames. Enable Smart Rendering, set your compression to CQ of 2 or 3, and only the cut points will be re-encoded
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rudyard View Post
    Have a captured AVI, I need to remove the start where you see me start my screen cap software and the end when I press stop.

It was captured in XVID (gave good output for the final SWF conversion) and anyway I followed guides like this:

https://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/virtualdubedit

BUt it doesnt seem to trim my video, the output just ignores my start and end points if I use Direct stream copy. I seem to loose quality quickly if I recompress.

MY steps are:

1 - Load video
    2 - Mark in where I want to start
    3 - Mark out where I want to end
    4 - Set video compression to direct stream copy
    5 - Save as AVI

End result always contains the beginning and end I tried to crop out.

Can someone explain where im going wrong. Havent fiddled with vid editing in a while and everything im doing right now is going wrong! thought this would be easy.
    Rudyard,
    I always do it by deleting the sections I don't want to keep. That seems to work. I delete because I am normally removing commercials from a broadcast capture and they are non-contiguous.

1 - Load video
    2 - Mark in where I want to start the cut
    3 - Mark out where I want to end the cut
    4 - Select edit from the options at the top of the screen and select delete from the drop down menu
    5 - repeat steps 2-4 until all the sections that need deletion have been accomplished
    6 - Set video compression to direct stream copy
    7 - Save as AVI

I have never tried the crop to selection drop down item, that might do what you want for a contiguous range of frames and your work flow - Just tried that with one of my .avi captures and it worked.

guns1inger's comments about cutting on I frames is correct. I don't have I,P, or B frames since my gear captures in DV - just straight frames. So my crop points don't have any limitations. When I have edited MPEG files directly I use Cuttermaran and if the cuts are not on I frame to I frame the program re-encodes only those frames. There are probably other editing programs that will do the same. I've never tried editing XDIV files.

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help, will give it a try and post results.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Xvid/Divx have a default keyframe setting of about 300 frames, so frame accurate editing is very difficult. This is common with most highly compressed formats. The smart rendering in VD, as mentioned, is a easy way to get around this limitation. An alternative I have used for H.264 is to convert to a lossless codec, such as HuffyUV or Lagarith, do your editing and convert back. But that takes time and a lot of hard drive space. Still, it makes it easier if you need to do extensive editing.
    Quote Quote