VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello I'm a bit of a newbie at this so please be gentle

I have a Region 1 DVD and want to rip it and then burn it onto a single layered DVDR that will be playable on a Region 2 player. I have ripped it with DVD Decrypter and I know have a 7.36Gb Image File.

My question is will this image file still be region 1 encoded or will I need to rip it again with some special settings or using another program?

Any help is much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter removes the region code by default. Region 2 covers a wider geographic area, including Japan - which uses NTSC like region 1 - and the UK - which uses PAL. Simply changing region code does not alter the format (NTSC vs PAL). Most PAL players will play NTSC material, but not all. So while you have removed the region code, and the disc will most likely play in a region 2 PAL player, there are no guarantees.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    DVD Decrypter removes the region code by default. Region 2 covers a wider geographic area, including Japan - which uses NTSC like region 1 - and the UK - which uses PAL. Simply changing region code does not alter the format (NTSC vs PAL). Most PAL players will play NTSC material, but not all. So while you have removed the region code, and the disc will most likely play in a region 2 PAL player, there are no guarantees.

Thank you very much. I've played NTSC discs on this machine so should be ok. I just wasn't sure about the region code. Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alan Rouge View Post
    I have a Region 1 DVD and want to rip it and then burn it onto a single layered DVDR that will be playable on a Region 2 player. I have ripped it with DVD Decrypter and I know have a 7.36Gb Image File.

I VERY STRONGLY recommend that you do the following and do NOT deviate from this.
    1) Burn ONLY to Verbatim DVR+R DL discs.
    2) Use ONLY the free program ImgBurn to burn with.

If you deviate from these 2 instructions and your disc doesn't play, well, I warned you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have DL discs and I don't think I could even burn them if I did have them...

Thanks for the warning though
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by Alan Rouge View Post

I VERY STRONGLY recommend that you do the following and do NOT deviate from this.
    1) Burn ONLY to Verbatim DVR+R DL discs.
    2) Use ONLY the free program ImgBurn to burn with.

If you deviate from these 2 instructions and your disc doesn't play, well, I warned you.
    So he is going to need something to "shrink" down the file.

DVD Shrink, DVD Rebuilder, etc.

If you want to keep the best possible video quality, do the movie only, getting rid of extras, extra audio tracks, menus, ect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks yeah I was going to use DVD Shrink. As I said in the first post I'm really pretty new to this. I've only used Nero before to create and copy DVDs. This is my first back-up of a copy protected one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah Nero kind of sucks.

The easiest way is to just load the VIDEO_TS folder or the ISO/Image file into DVD Shrink then select "Re author" and you can drag the main movie only over to the left window and let it do it's thing.

It's really easy and pretty self explanatory if you just look it over.
    Quote Quote