VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello group.

Can anyone advise what is the optimum size and resolution I should scan photographs (many more than 100 years old) so that
    I can put them on a DVD along with the family tree and for viewing on large screen LCD/Plasma) televisons.

Thanks.

rocky.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Scan in as high resolution as the scanner supports. Save/backup them in that resolution. Then from them can you make a photo dvd-video with transitions etc or just jpg images on a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Scan in as high resolution as the scanner supports. Save/backup them in that resolution. Then from them can you make a photo dvd-video with transitions etc or just jpg images on a dvd.
    Hi Baldrick.
    Thanks for your quick reply.

They will of course be very large files but that hardly matters as it is viewability that counts, now my wife has
    some images on her computer that were sent as attachments and were scanned at 300dpi, will they be suitable
    for inclusion or should I use software like 'Genuine Fractals" to increase the resolution to the point before they
    become blocky.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rockingham View Post
    Hi Baldrick.

They will of course be very large files but that hardly matters as it is viewability that counts, now my wife has
    some images on her computer that were sent as attachments and were scanned at 300dpi, will they be suitable
    for inclusion or should I use software like 'Genuine Fractals" to increase the resolution to the point before they
    become blocky.

Thanks again.
    I'm not sure if you are playing games or something but...."bigger is better" really DOES apply in this case. Hard drive space is cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by rockingham View Post
    Hi Baldrick.

become blocky.

Thanks again.
    I'm not sure if you are playing games or something but...."bigger is better" really DOES apply in this case. Hard drive space is cheap.

Hello hech54.

You say "playing games"?, I'm not sure I follow, but I guess bigger is better, however scanning an original is one
    thing but increasing the size of an already scanned image with software such as fractals I wonder if I am going to
    get as good an image.

Thanks.

rocky.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You have to remember that most TVs really do not have that high of resolution (not when compared to your computer and its ability to zoom in). Also, DVD players are designed to play MOVIES. Each manufacturer had to decide if they were even going to support non-movie data and they all do it differently.

300dpi is plenty big if the original is reasonable size (a 300dpi copy of a passport photo isn't anywhere near as good as a 300dpi copy of an 8x10 portrait). Using a program to "add resolution" is just guessing; sometimes it works great and sometimes it's terrible.

The best thing to do here is make a couple of test documents and see how you're going to use them. You might end up with a high-res scan you use on the computer and a lower-res version you use in a slideshow.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by byteguy View Post
    You have to remember that most TVs really do not have that high of resolution (not when compared to your computer and its ability to zoom in). Also, DVD players are designed to play MOVIES. Each manufacturer had to decide if they were even going to support non-movie data and they all do it differently.

300dpi is plenty big if the original is reasonable size (a 300dpi copy of a passport photo isn't anywhere near as good as a 300dpi copy of an 8x10 portrait). Using a program to "add resolution" is just guessing; sometimes it works great and sometimes it's terrible.

The best thing to do here is make a couple of test documents and see how you're going to use them. You might end up with a high-res scan you use on the computer and a lower-res version you use in a slideshow.

Hello byteguy.

I appreciate your comments, more gris for the mill as they say.

rocky.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    with software such as fractals I wonder if I am going to get as good an image.
    No. Not usually.
    Would have to see example.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you're making a slideshow on a DVD, the resolution will be 640x480 as that is the resolution of DVD. You may, of course, add a folder in which the original (high quality) scans may be stored so, if anyone likes one or more of the photos in the slideshow, the photo(s) may be copied off the disc for printing, post-processing, uploading to Walgreen's, etc.

Many DVD authoring/burning apps have this option (like iDVD if you had a Mac).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My point is....get the best possible scan of these photos now. DO NOT take the screen size or technical specs of a present or past television, or the specs your present DVD player into consideration. You may not get a another chance to preserve these photos.
    Quote Quote