VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Tried converting few mkv (HD) file to avi (divx HD) using DVDFab / ImTOO Video Converter ... the converted file was almost double the original file size ... any suggestion where i might be going wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bitrate.

Filesize = running time X bitrate. If you running time hasn't doubled, then your bitrate has.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    Bitrate.

Filesize = running time X bitrate. If you running time hasn't doubled, then your bitrate has.

Could you maintain the same size and quality of the MKV file as an AVI or would you have to halve the bitrate and thus quality? Would it matter quality-wise if the video was being burned onto a DVDR to be played in a DVD player?

I ask because I have some MKV files that are from HD streams and I want to keep the quality as best as I can but I'm burning to DVD so will be converting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just about anytime you do an re-encode, you lose quality. If the bitrate is the same, then more quality loss. You generally have to increase the bitrate to keep quality. MKV is a very efficient encoding format, and converting it to Divx or Xvid at the same bitrate will lose a lot of quality. Double the original size is about right most times if you want the same quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are converting HD material (1080 or 720) to standard DVD Video format then you will lose quality - noticeably - and this cannot be prevented.

AVI and MKV are just containers. The content is compressed based on the codecs used. For example it is possible to use both Xvid and MP3 for video and audio compression in both AVI and MKV files. Therefore you can have identical video and audio content, and the only difference in file size will come down the overheads of the containers themselves.

When comparing content encoded with different codecs, all bets are off. Some codecs compression much more efficiently than others - H264 produces much smaller files than mpeg-2 while maintaining the same quality, for example - and some codecs compress well, but have image trade-offs - Xvid/Divx, for example.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by denniscool
    avi (divx HD)
    What is your goal for divxhd? Is it to be played on a bluray player? Have you considered avchd? If you are playing this on a bluray player confirm that your exact model can infact play avchd - and that it can do 720p avchd - I was in another thread and either jman98 or jagabo - can't remember which - sorry - said that some settop bluray players can't do 720p avchd - THE PS3 CAN FYI.

If you do want to do avchd (high def on a dvdr) use multiavchd. It supports mkv as an input - in fact I'm using it right now to convert an hd-mkv file to avchd.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    avi (divx HD)
    What is your goal for divxhd? Is it to be played on a bluray player? Have you considered avchd? If you are playing this on a bluray player confirm that your exact model can infact play avchd - and that it can do 720p avchd - I was in another thread and either jman98 or jagabo - can't remember which - sorry - said that some settop bluray players can't do 720p avchd - THE PS3 CAN FYI.

If you do want to do avchd (high def on a dvdr) use multiavchd. It supports mkv as an input - in fact I'm using it right now to convert an hd-mkv file to avchd.
    Thank you. I think this is what I want. Are you saying that I can add MKVs into that and burn it as AVCHD and it'll play on my DVD player? Would I be losing much of my quality? I have Nero 8 which has AVCHD burning capabilities but doesn't support MKV...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alan rouge
    I think this is what I want. Are you saying that I can add MKVs into that and burn it as AVCHD and it'll play on my DVD player? Would I be losing much of my quality? I have Nero 8 which has AVCHD burning capabilities but doesn't support MKV...
    It depends on the mkv and if you're burning to dual layer or single layer.

If the mkv is already the size of a dual layer you SHOULD be able to stick it in multiavchd and output a avchd to dual layer dvdr in quick order.

If its larger it will have to be transcoded to fit (multiavchd has a fit all option to fit to single layer or dual layer - though it takes time to process if its larger than the source file).

There may be instances that your mkv may need to be converted if its not a regular hd file - ie 1080 or 720 (if its an odd resolution it may have fits over it).

EDIT - SO FAR AS I KNOW AVCHD IS FOR BLURAY PLAYERS ONLY!!! That includes pcs that can play hd and of course a playstation 3. There may be special dvd players that can play avchd but there aren't any that I know of.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVCHD on DVD so far is only supported on bluray players (including the PS3), and not all bluray players at that. It is not supported by DVD players.

If you are going to create AVCHD discs, do as suggested above and use MultiAVCHD, then burn with Imgburn.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again
    I'm bloody learning quick here!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I was just looking at Multi-AVCHD there and I see there's an option for "SD DVD for DVDR"

Does that convert the MKV files to MPEG2 or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alan Rouge View Post
    Thank you again
    If you don't have a bluray player you can look into a harddrive media player like a wdtv media player. It can play mkvs directly off a usb ntfs harddrive and are generally cheaper than a bluray player (around a 100.00 USD new - used models will be cheaper). There are many competitors now but make sure the brand you look at can play high def files. Also note some don't have component out - hdmi only - so if you have a hdtv without hdmi that would be a consideration for you.

EDIT - alan rouge - yes it can output to standard dvd BUT IT WILL NOT BE IN HIGH DEFINITION.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again
    If you don't have a bluray player you can look into a harddrive media player like a wdtv media player. It can play mkvs directly off a usb ntfs harddrive and are generally cheaper than a bluray player (around a 100.00 USD new - used models will be cheaper). There are many competitors now but make sure the brand you look at can play high def files. Also note some don't have component out - hdmi only - so if you have a hdtv without hdmi that would be a consideration for you.

EDIT - alan rouge - yes it can output to standard dvd BUT IT WILL NOT BE IN HIGH DEFINITION

Ah right thanks again. For the moment I literally just want to get these MKV files onto a DVD to give to someone. They're only small, about 100mb. They are live performances of some songs which were taken from a HD source.

I doubt I'll be getting a hard drive player anytime soon but cheers for the info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As long as they have a computer that can play mkv - mpchc or vlc for example - just burn it as data with imgburn. They can play it straight off the dvd on the computer or copy them to the harddrive first then play.

Though for smooth hd playback they should have at least a dual core processor to do it without stuttering.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nah it's to be played in a DVD player.

On a related note, do you know how I could split up an MKV file? I have a half hour music show but only want to take out about 10mins that I need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alan rouge
    Nah it's to be played in a DVD player.
    Than it will have to be converted to standard definition dvd - or if the dvd player is capable of it perhaps divx/xvid with a program like super or format factory.

Check out the tools section:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools

I can't think of a tool off the top of my head to cut mkv files. THere are lots of mkv specific tools you can use but at the moment I can't think of one to just chop it up.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Alan Rouge View Post
    avi (divx HD)

Thank you. I think this is what I want. Are you saying that I can add MKVs into that and burn it as AVCHD and it'll play on my DVD player? Would I be losing much of my quality? I have Nero 8 which has AVCHD burning capabilities but doesn't support MKV...

just want to say data of pressed file still in the file you pressed its just out of reach. its not like you making something new like from cd (Flac) everything's possible just to complicated to explain in writing. All the best boys and girls keep the progres, like someone said concurrence promotes perfection.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mkeblas View Post
    avi (divx HD)

just want to say data of pressed file still in the file you pressed its just out of reach. its not like you making something new like from cd (Flac) everything's possible just to complicated to explain in writing. All the best boys and girls keep the progres, like someone said concurrence promotes perfection.
    What are you talking about??? Bot?
    Quote Quote