VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, as you know, the f***ing majors in the USA have found a way to kill the selling of these machines. we can't find these devices anymore and anywhere in north america (unless used or refurbished), contrary to japan. My question is, what are the legal alternatives ?

i know that some tivos can be hacked so you can extract your recordings out of it. god, but what about those fancy protections "flags" that the studion add in their tv programs ? does a tbc like this one (AV Toolbox AVT-8710 Multi-Standard Time Base Corrector)can resolve this issue ?

thanks to answer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can still get a international Panasonic, Pioneer or LG from several grey market US dealers. I recently purchased a EH-59 Panasonic from B&H Photo, over the internet. I think the Panasonics are the best buy, the Pioneers cost a bit more and I wouldn't suggest the LGs. They start ~$400 for a new unit. A TBC should get rid of any CP flag but wouldn't work with a Tivo to PC connection since you wouldn't have anywhere to put it in-between. It would work for offloading your Tivo to a standalone DVDR like the internationals since you could put the TBC between the line output/input.
    Check this thread for links to Panasonic DVDRs, including the internationals.
    Depending on where you live in Canada, Future Shop may still have a LG or Sony(Pioneer) still left. The one closest to me does anyway.
    Quote Quote