VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i used Sony Digital 8 cameras from 1997-2007...mostly with Sony hi8 tapes...i stored a box of about 30 tapes in a room until recently...when i tried to read them, there was NOTHING on any of them...when i try to record, the counter works until i stop, then goes to all dashes like there isnīt any info on the tape...the visual tape counter(the bar with the amount of tape remaining) works, but no digital counter shows in cam or vcr mode...is it possible that all 30 tapes were demagnitized? love the forum, thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MAIKL7 View Post
    i used Sony Digital 8 cameras from 1997-2007...mostly with Sony hi8 tapes...i stored a box of about 30 tapes in a room until recently...when i tried to read them, there was NOTHING on any of them...when i try to record, the counter works until i stop, then goes to all dashes like there isnīt any info on the tape...the visual tape counter(the bar with the amount of tape remaining) works, but no digital counter shows in cam or vcr mode...is it possible that all 30 tapes were demagnitized? love the forum, thanks for any help!
    Unlikely, sounds like a camcorder issue.

First thing to do is use a cleaning tape on your Digital8 camcorder.

If that doesn't work, try a different Digital8 camcorder.

Note that an analog Hi8 camcorder can't read these tapes.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    much thanks for the quick reply! The camera i used only has about 20 hours use, almost new...i watched a tape that was recorded on it from 4 years ago...it played perfectly...however none of the 30 tapes from my camera worked or even registered info...this seems like dirty heads to me also, but i canīt understand why the other tape works...will try cleaning and another camera...thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the camcorder make and model?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the original camera was a Sony DCR-TRV310 NTSC, purchased in 1997...The newer camera that i tried to play the old tapes on is a Sony DCR TRV250, purchased about 5 years ago...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well both are Digita8. The TRV250 should be able to play the tapes recorded on the TRV310. The TRV250 won't play analog Hi8 recordings but should play Digital8.

The only thing to try next is a different Digital8 camcorder.

One possible complication, were the original tapes receorded at LP speed rather than SP? LP uses narrower tracks and is intended for playback only on the original camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    each tape was 1 hour so i assume it was SP...donīt remember being able to change speeds on the old camera(which doesnīt function now)...i have access to another D8, will try it...thank you very much for you time and advice!!! iīll post the results...
    Quote Quote