VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Recently I disovered some very impressive HD vids at 300mbunited. They are all MKV and usually fall between 300-500MB. I've begun to wonder why my Digital8 captures (using Sony Vegas Video9) average about 1GB/5minutes of video. I've tried shrinking those files with Sothink's Vid converter (yes before I discovered this website and saw the variety of free tools)..but my result is at best 180MB for a 5minute video. Not bad, about 5-1 compression, but still not approaching the quality and tiny size of a 2hour movie being only 300MB.

Does anyone know how they do it? Even If I could get close to that compression I'd be happy. Esp considerring the home Vids I'm processing came from a Non-HD camcorder from 7 years ago. Sony DCR-TRV740 Digital8

I still have the original media, so rather than compressing these old files, I'd also be happy with a tool that allowed capture and compression in one step. Thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    2 hour HD movie in 300MB? No chance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. some of their 720p stuff reaches 450MB, but yeah, try a couple of their movies, it's shockingly good.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Their site went down this morning.

the screenshot below is from a 720p movie whose final file size was 509MB

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	3614

google cache could show you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These are specially and carefully shot scenes for film. Hollywood, tripod, etc etc. Also, these are film frame rates, 24p for example. The other aspects are encoder engine and the settings picked for each film. Some people go even further and encode scenes with different settings. These are skill related and not easily learned over dinner.

Your sources is from ananog (or digital, dv) and that is interlace. Not to mention, shaky video from shaky hands. You'll never get sources that look film good in that size, though you can encode to it, just not going to see clean non pixelated as those sources you are comparing to, if i understood you to begin with.

-vhelp 5420
    Quote Quote