VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I own the 1st and 2nd seasons of Curb your enthusiasm. Upon buying them, I used DVD Shrink to back up each disc to single layer DVD-Rs.

Now one of the original DVDs is damaged (Season 2 Disc 2) and my backup is unreadable by ripping software. My backup DVD works just fine in my ordinary DVD player, however when I attempt to use DVD Shrink or Imgbrn to create an ISO backup, these programs both state that they cannot read the disk after about 18% progress. DVD decrypter, same thing. And when I tried Fair Use Wizard to rip to AVI, it failed right after it began.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I could back up an already backed up DVD-R to my HDD as ISO or Video TS folder besides the methods I have already employed?

Thanks...

In case it helps... All of my other backed up DVDs do not have this issue.... all were backed up the same method using DVD shrink.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by perceptionist View Post
    I used DVD Shrink to back up each disc to single layer DVD-Rs.
    That was your first mistake. DVDShrink is VERY out of date.

Now one of the original DVDs is damaged (Season 2 Disc 2) and my backup is unreadable by ripping software.
    Yea......right.

Anyway...check the disc for surface dirt, try a different DVD drive, use better quality discs(next time) etc etc etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Lol!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you've taken all the "fair-use" options available to safeguard your DVD's and the backup's failed ... seems like you're just unlucky in this case & will have to re-purchase new disks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try a different computer or at least a different DVD drive to rip the files from the back-up. I have several DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs that won't read completely using my main DVD drive, but will using my laptop's drive. It's a pretty good shot considering the back-up still plays properly on a standalone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try another drive - some are better readers than others. My best reader is an ancient 2X Panasonic.....not much for burning, but the old thing reads discs other drives can't.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try DVD Decrypter with 'Ignore Read Errors' (on the I/O tab) ticked, or try ISO Puzzler, or ISO Buster?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Decrypter with Ignore Read Errors is a good option. A little OT, but I've used ISO Buster to pull data from discs recorded in my DVD Recorder that wouldn't finalize and it's a good tool to have too.

CogoSWSDS
    Old ICBM Coordinates: 39 45' 0.0224" N 89 43' 1.7548" W. New coordinates: 39 47' 48.0" N 89 38' 35.7548" W.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I used DVD Shrink to back up each disc to single layer DVD-Rs.
    That was your first mistake. DVDShrink is VERY out of date.
    It's only a "mistake" to use DVDShrink IF it doesn't work. (If you tested your DVDShrink backup after you first made it and it worked, there was no "mistake" involved whatsoever. If you didn't, it may well have been a mistake.)

Lots of folks use it all the time, including yours truly, especially with RipIt4Me (also "VERY out of date").

Does it always work? No. And when it doesn't, it's very clear that it has failed. Then, on to DVDFab or others.

Does DVDShrink work FAR more times than it fails, even with some of the newer protection schemes (especially with RipIt4Me)? Yep.

An "oldie but goody" that still has a place in my backup tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use DVDShrink almost weekly myself....but NEVER to rip.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I use it almost weekly, too . . . to RIP!
    Quote Quote