VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Using a program called "Recover my Files" I recovered a lost video of my 5 year old brother. The video had gotten permanently deleted but i was able to recover it using that program. It was 592 mb, using vlc it would only play the first 50 seconds; the total length is about 8 - 9 mins. I tried using a bunch of avi repair programs such as divfix, AVImedic, divfix++, divxrepair with no solutions. The most that would happen is that it would just make the video 50 seconds long. When I used avimedic to analyze the data in the video it said the video had 1.4% fake data which I don't have a clue to as what that means. Any help would be much appreciated, I have no clue how to be able to see even a second more of this video and even a few more seconds would help a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try open in an editor like virtualdub, avidemux, mpeg streamclip, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. When a file is deleted there is no record of anything but where the first block of the file was before it was deleted and the size of the file. Undelete programs simply simply start with that first block and add the (free) blocks immediately after that to recreate the file. Unfortnately, if your file was framented it's not likely the rest of the undeleted file contain data from the original file.

Still, you can try using VirtualDub -- open the file then select Video -> Scan Video Stream For Errors (it may take a while, it may even crash). If it makes it to the end select Video -> Direct Stream Copy, then File -> Save as AVI to create a new file.
    Quote Quote