VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Observed in only two files. The picture is mostly black and white or strange colors, colors lost or scattered irregularly. When saved as a snapshot or viewed in VirtualDub, the colors are fine. But when making a capture, the area of the video ends up blank. A latest codec pack installed. Tried a few players. Changing the renderer didn't help. The properties are exactly the same as of other files from the same source that play fine:
    DivX5
    YUV
    Advanced Simple@L5
    BVOP Yes
    QPel No
    GMC No warppoints
    Matrix H.263
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best not to install codec packs cause they usually cause that type of problem,uninstall the codec pack and install ffdshow and see if that helps.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But when making a capture, the area of the video ends up blank.
    ScreenCap doesn't work for overlay video modes. perfectly normal. Use the players frame grab function, or turn off acceleration.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Using only the ffdshow filters didn't help. Looks like a hardware issue (e.g. the graphic adapter processes correctly but the TFT cannot show it for some reason), because the file plays fine in a standalone player and another PC. It's not a big problem but would interest me to know why the colors are fine in a saved snapshot or VirtualDub. Just in case, do I turn off acceleration in the graphic adapter's settings? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I bet your problematic videos have a mod 2 frame size and your decoder only supports mod 4 or 8 or 16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Could you please explain the bit about mods of frame sizes or where to look? I never saw it in the video information.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Use a tool like MediaInfo or GSpot to determine the frame size. Mod2 means an integer multiple of 2 -- 2,4,6,8.... Mod4 means an integer multiple of 4 -- 4,8,12,16. Etc. Some codecs require a mod4, mod8, or mod16 frame size.

A video might have been compressed with an encoder supports mod2. So it will compress a frame that's, say, 640x478. But a decoder that only supports mod4 will have trouble with that size -- 478 isn't evenly divisible by 4. Some will simply refuse to decode the file, other may just make mistakes and mess up -- very often messing up the colors like you described in your earlier post.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I checked and it's not the mod count or whatever you call it. Meanwhile, I think codecs have nothing to do with it because playing the faulty file with players that use internal filters (VLC, KMP) produced no improvements. Then one time I copied a file to another medium and it turned out to be a few kilobytes less than the original, although no copying errors were reported. And the shorter file in the other location now had broken colors. Now I presume these problems are caused by errors in transmission or recording. The file lacks some information that that affects the video. Strangely, the file that I originally had problems with, now plays fine, so it is complicated!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know what's going on, but you can try bypassing Windows video subsystems by setting VLC to:

Tools -> Preferences -> Video (button on left) -> Display (box on right) -> Output (pulldown) -> Windows GDI Video Output.

VLC will then bypass Windows video processing and send an RGB image directly to the Desktop. CPU usage will be higher when playing video.
    Quote Quote