VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an HD-PVR that I'd like to use to strictly grab programs off my DTV HR24 - football/hoops, concerts, etc. The only machine I have that runs windows is my dual-boot laptop (Vista/Ubuntu 10.04). I'm currently using that and Arcsoft TME. However, I'd like to be able to do this with my Ubuntu desktop PC which would be permanently connected to the HR24.

Since (stable) Linux drivers don't seem to be currently available to capture from the 1212, is it worth installing WINE and running TME under that?

My goal is to make DVDs and delete the programs from the HR22.

TIA for any ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well if Ubuntu is anything like the problems I had with Mandriva the problem is you will probably need to load the firmware for
    your card. To find out what the firmware name is in a shell type in dmesg.
    This will give you a long list of stuff. If you review it carefully will should be able to see what the firmware name is.
    With that know-en you should be able to do a Google search on it and dl and install.
    That what I had to do with my Hauppauge 1800 HD-PVR. Using kaffine I use it to watch TV all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't know for sure, but I doubt Wine will work with the HD PVR. Realtime hardware stuff rarely works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Normal way is to capture HD-PVR USB2 to Windows. After that you can try to edit the resulting h.264 files in Linux.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Normal way is to capture HD-PVR USB2 to Windows. After that you can try to edit the resulting h.264 files in Linux.
    I'll probably go this route.

Thanks all for your responses.
    Quote Quote