VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to convert a HD avi to a mkv format or similar. I have tried using avitomkv and the result was a 700 mb mkv file to view on a LG42LH50 LCD TV via thumbdrive. I keep forgetting what kind of files can be viewed on my set, I know I read it somewhere but I don't remember where. Anyhow what I got was a movie that fill the entire screen as hoped but the quality was lost. I understand that avitomkv is obsolete now so I decided to use HDConvert to X and the result was a file with no audio but picture quality was fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Movie.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	3556
    Last edited by Han Solo1; 22nd Sep 2010 at 15:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For mkv try makemkv.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG-4 Visual video and AC3 audio from an AVI file can be moved without conversion to the MKV container.
    E.g. with MKVToolnix.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried using MKVToolnix, I opened the avi and started muxing. The output was a slightly smaller file than the original and it played well on my desktop. But it read as an invalid file on the LCD TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Han Solo1 View Post
    But it read as an invalid file on the LCD TV.
    Now's the time to remember where you read what kind of files can be viewed on your tv set.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try uncropmkv and then mkvmerge to mux the .264 and ac3 to make a valid mkv that your tv can play.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to one source I found out that "LG - 42LH50 supports video formats of all DivX (.avi) versions." I know that it plays mkv files because it has done so in the past. Plus once I recall having trouble playing audio from an mkv file with DTS audio. It was suggested that I should convert the audio to 6 channel ac3.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so I found this site which seem to know more about these LCDs: http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/. This could be helpful for some of you Europeans as far as the hack goes. I am still having trouble playing my file on the LCD. The original avi was converted to 1920 x 1080 mkv xvid but it still won't play on the LCD. I think the encoding process prevents the file from being played. I used multiAVCHD to do the conversion along with all the setting changes that they require in order for it to work. I even used mkvmerge to merge the the 2 files that came in the output.
    Quote Quote