VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a Sony Handy Cam HDR-HC9. Until Thursday of last week it has been working fine with a Dell Latitude D820 running Windows7 Enterprise 32bit laptop. As of last week Thursday it is no longer recognized as in they are not even listed in Device Manager or under Disk Management connected via IEE1394 (small 4pin to 4 pin) or USB. I have followed these troubleshooting steps to resolve: removed driver for OHCI 1394 Compliant Host Controller and Installed the Legacy Driver for IEE1394 (Windows 7), removed driver and restarted system allowing system to autodetect installed Firewire card. I also tested on a Windows XP Enterprise Dell Latitude E6400 32bit OS. The camcorder is recognized by all Desktop systems with a 4pin to 6 pin IEE 1394 cable. No Windows updates were installed until the 19th. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    first thing i would do is get a new 4pin to 4pin firewire cable. next i would try a different known good combo cam and cable on the laptop. if no luck, the laptop port is toast.

use winADV if the cam is set to DVavi and HDVsplit for HDV transfers. they will detect if the cam is connected.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Used several 4 to 4 pin cables and tested the firewire port on laptop with multiple devices including 2 Panasonic camcorders and it works. I tested the Sony device in multiple laptops with Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows XP Enterprise 32bit and 64bit operating systems and it does not recognize through firewire, the Sony does recognize when plugged into any desktop or workstation with a 4 to 6pin cable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    strange one. a 4pin to 6pin only has the same 4 wires as a 4 to 4 cable. the extra two pins aren't used as they would carry direct current to the device from the port. only 6 pin to 6 pin cables have 6 wires.

plug the sony in, hit play, when the video starts hit pause. then start winDV and or HDVsplit to see if they can find the cam.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote