VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Guys,

If I want to copy a DVD movie in my mobile phone (which means the same High Quality with which the DVD is encoded) How do I do it. Again can you please suggest a Software which does it without any major quality Loss.

Cheers !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unless your mobile phone can play DVD quality video, not possible. DVDs are much higher resolution than a cell phone can display. There are several programs here that may be able to convert a DVD video to something that will display on your cell phone. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/portable-mobile-psp-ipod

You need to determine what format, etc, your cell phone can use.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Unless your mobile phone can play DVD quality video, not possible. DVDs are much higher resolution than a cell phone can display. There are several programs here that may be able to convert a DVD video to something that will display on your cell phone. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/portable-mobile-psp-ipod

You need to determine what format, etc, your cell phone can use.

And welcome to our forums.
    I saw one of my colleague in my office have a Movie installed in his cell phone and it played reasonably well he did mention that he has copied it from a actual DVD and the quality was very good if not excellent. Though I did not ask him how he did that. I had a question what if I create a VIDEO_TS folder using either DVD Decrypter or DVD FAB HD DECRYPTER and then try to convert it to the format that my cell phone plays two questions on this

1. is this the correct way to do it or could there be any better way than this. If yes any help on what could be a better way. Despite the fact that DVD Movie's are coded at a higher pixel ratio and all and it cannot play the same quality in a cell phone, despite all this if I still wanna go ahead and have it on my cell phone. How to do it ?

2. What is the best software to convert the VIDEO_TS folder into a format like say for e.g MP4 or 3gp which will ensure minimum quality loss in the process of conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do this all the time on my HD2 phone using a combination of AnyDVD to rip the DVD disc to my hard drive and then CloneDVD mobile to convert it into a format suitable for playback on my phone. Both of these software you need to pay for, but there are other free software programs that will do this for you (I just prefer the simplicity).

Before any more advice is offered, you need to tell us the make & model of your phone. Not all phones are capable of playing back movies - some are limited to 15 frames-a-second, others have tiny resolutions (like 320x240) or will only accept a specific format (e.g. 3gpp). Does your phone take memory cards?

Without knowing these specific requirements will mean your phone either can't or won't be able to play any movie.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, Xvid4PSP has a bunch of templates for a bunch of different kinds of phones. Load the VOBs, select a template, and let it do its thing. 100% free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by me-eyes View Post
    I do this all the time on my HD2 phone using a combination of AnyDVD to rip the DVD disc to my hard drive and then CloneDVD mobile to convert it into a format suitable for playback on my phone. Both of these software you need to pay for, but there are other free software programs that will do this for you (I just prefer the simplicity).

Before any more advice is offered, you need to tell us the make & model of your phone. Not all phones are capable of playing back movies - some are limited to 15 frames-a-second, others have tiny resolutions (like 320x240) or will only accept a specific format (e.g. 3gpp). Does your phone take memory cards?

Without knowing these specific requirements will mean your phone either can't or won't be able to play any movie.
    Hey Hi,

I have two phones and I would like to have a DVD quality movie on both these phones. The first Phone I have is the Nokia N900

1. Nokia N900

It has 3.5 inch touch-sensitive widescreen display

•800 × 480 pixel resolution

N900 can play the following video formats

mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; codecs: H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263

The second Phone I have is the

2. Samsung Galaxy-s i9000

It is 4.0” Inch WVGA(480x800) 16M SUPER AMOLED Screen Display

It also has a HD Video Player & Recorder (1280 x 720) @ 30fps.

codec: DivX, XviD, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV, VC-1.

format: 3gp(mp4), AVI(divx), MKV, FLV, H.263 Sorenson.

So indiviually speaking for N900 which for e.g plays almost all the formats which format can I convert the DVD into which one will have a better quality if atall there is any quality loss in conversion, which one will ensure a minimum of that happening.

And for the Samsung Galaxy-S what would you suggest which format should I encode the DVD in to ?

So now that I have told you about the details that you were asking for what and how do you suggest I can go ahead downloading the Movie to my cell phone.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both your phones have a screen resolution higher than that of a DVD movie (800*480 as opposed to 720*480) and both support the H.264 codec. This is arguably one of the better formats for converting movies to and so should look pretty good on both your phones.

First of all you need to get the DVD backed up onto your hard drive - there are numerous programs that can rip discs (personally I like AnyDVD but search this website for a comprehensive list).

Once you have that, you need to convert the main feature from the disc into the format suitable for your phone. I use CloneDVD mobile and the Apple TV H.264 pre-specified selection, but again there are many others that will do this for you - including the aforementioned Xvid4PSP (though I have never used this particular software).

I would recommend first converting one of the trailers or extras on the disc and looking at that on your phones - otherwise you might have to wait 40mins or so converting the full movie only to find you aren't happy with the results or it is unplayable on your phone.

Post back and let us know how you got on!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by me-eyes View Post
    Both your phones have a screen resolution higher than that of a DVD movie (800*480 as opposed to 720*480) and both support the H.264 codec. This is arguably one of the better formats for converting movies to and so should look pretty good on both your phones.

First of all you need to get the DVD backed up onto your hard drive - there are numerous programs that can rip discs (personally I like AnyDVD but search this website for a comprehensive list).

Once you have that, you need to convert the main feature from the disc into the format suitable for your phone. I use CloneDVD mobile and the Apple TV H.264 pre-specified selection, but again there are many others that will do this for you - including the aforementioned Xvid4PSP (though I have never used this particular software).

I would recommend first converting one of the trailers or extras on the disc and looking at that on your phones - otherwise you might have to wait 40mins or so converting the full movie only to find you aren't happy with the results or it is unplayable on your phone.

Post back and let us know how you got on!

Sure sounds great ! will do it and post my experiences. One thing that I would like to know here once I have the VIDEO_TS folder on my Hard Disk and when I am trying to convert it in to a suitable file format to run on mycell phone out of the two Software mentioned above CloneDVD mobile, Xvid4PSP and Handbrake which one is more advised to be used. Which one gives better result with minimum or no loss in the Video Quality in conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reckon the quality of the output will be pretty much the same - especially when viewed on a 4-inch screen. Step up to a 40-inch and you may notice differences. Any visible differences between the created files on a 4-inch screen might be due to the 'quality' settings you choose (bit-rate etc...).

The two programs I use both have a trial period - two weeks if I recall. Should give you enough time to try a few programs & settings.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by me-eyes View Post

The two programs I use both have a trial period - two weeks if I recall. Should give you enough time to try a few programs & settings.
    With the two programs you mean CloneDVD mobile, Xvid4PSP right ?
    Last edited by augustya; 25th Sep 2010 at 02:13. Reason: edit
    Quote Quote  
  11. Xvid4PSP is free. Clone DVD Mobile has a trial period. I guess the other program to which he's referring is AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Xvid4PSP is free. Clone DVD Mobile has a trial period. I guess the other program to which he's referring is AnyDVD.
    Correctamundo!
    Quote Quote