VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a brand new tower mac, a green screen, $700+ in lighting, and i just yesterday i purchased a new camera. but imagine my surprise when the only format the camera outputs is AVCHD witch is unusable in final cut express . i tried numerous programs that claim to convert avchd but after conversion the quality has reduced to unusable! i am at my wits end !

if you can help me find a converter that can convert the video in full 1:1 quality + audio
    OR
    an editing program that allows me to save the video in a usable format that would be awesome!

i am running mac osX snow, and i am trying to convert the video from a canon vixia HF S21
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Final Cut Express will import AVCHD files. In FCE Help, search for AVCHD for instructions.

Final Cut Express does not edit AVCHD natively (1:1 as you say). It converts on import to Apple Intermediate Codec, a diital intermediate format, for editing ease. The AVCHD file is decoded to lower compressed frames causing the file for expand in size to ~60GB/hr.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote