VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I recently purchased a Phillips surround sound home theater system. If you guys need the exact model I can get that..it's from 2009. Anway I hooked it up to my (very) old Television. It's a magnavox TV from 1994. I can get the exact model from that as well if you guys need it. Anway...everything set up fine. I use my old tv with a satelite cable box and a wii and never had any problems...the speakers from the surround sound work just fine also. The problem is with the DVD player...it plays correctly for about 5 minutes then goes to a green screen that rolls horizontally. The sound stays fine though, just the picture messes up. After turning the DVD player off and trying again in several min, it usually works again, but after around 5 minutes of working properly it messes up again. I'm so frustrated. Logically I think my old TV may have something to do with it..but I'm confused as to why it works even for 5 minutes or so if it was connected wrong. My old TV has one AV output to which I have connected an AV switch that hold 3 other devices..the wii, the cable box, and now the DVD player...although the DVD player does not appear to have AV outputs..it only came with a cable that looked like an AV cable but with just the yellow part. Please help! I'm really hoping it's the TV and not the DVD player that is causing teh problems...I am getting a new TV soon.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am also confused with your explanation, but I will tell you my opinion: if you had no previous problems with your other devices... more than likely your HT is the problem. The fact that the failure shows up after five minutes might be related to an internal electronic component heating up or a piece of hardware/software reaching a point where they can not operate without a cold restart. Your old TV more than likely does not know where the video signal comes from (specially if you are using A/V inputs) and it should make no distinction between your Wii, cable box, or HT for all are plain video signals for your TV.
    Check in the web for similar problems or firmware upgrades at the Philips web site , some DVDs are upgradable... however this might help or even make your problem worse.... sorry for not being of much help, good luck with your HT.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I forgot to make this recommendation: If your player is still under warranty, take it back to the store and get a good one... before trying to fix it for yourself and making any issue even bigger.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD player could be dying or defective.

You may need to go into the video setup on the player and if it has an output option you can set, be sure it is set to NTSC and not "ANY" or "MULTI". If you have no ability to see such settings, then it can only be in NTSC mode, which is what you want. You also need to be sure that the output is set to 480i and not anything else (not 480p, not 720p. not 1080i/p).

The player could be suffering from heat buildup if you have it in a poorly ventilated area. Today's DVD players need a lot of free space to adequately air cool or their life expectancy will be shortened.
    Quote Quote