VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    I want to encode some videos to put on DVD and I don't particularly want to have Windows encode the darn things for me, as whatever default encoder it uses seems somewhat cruddy.

Any recommendations?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Second that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. HcEnc. If you need a GUI HcGUI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. or if you want a gui that uses hcenc and also authors for dvd => avs2dvd
    Quote Quote  
  5. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to load an Avisynth script into HCEnc but it keeps telling me I'm lacking a DV decompressor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Or use DirectShowSource() instead of AviSource(). DirectShowSource() will uses Windows' built in Directshow DV decoder. AviSource() requires a VFW DV decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Or use DirectShowSource() instead of AviSource(). DirectShowSource() will uses Windows' built in Directshow DV decoder. AviSource() requires a VFW DV decoder.
    That's what I needed! Thanks!

So it's ouputting an M2V file, I'm reading they don't include audio, is there a way to change the output format, or what should I do afterward?

EDIT: Do I need to use AviSynth to deinterlace/double the framerate of a DV video?
    Last edited by CursedLemon; 19th Sep 2010 at 16:33.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's compliant DV video, it's already interlaced and should have the correct framesize, frame rate for DVD video. Don't deinterlace for DVD. DV uses PCM audio, which also should be compliant with DVDs, though probably a bit on the large side. You could convert it to AC3 easily enough. Aften or ffmpegGUI come to mind.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Chicken McNewblet
    Search Comp PM
    I keep ending up with a 720x540 video that has scanlines and is 30 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  10. What's your source? What are you doing to it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I suspect 720x540 is the resized video. Open it in GSpot or MediaInfo to confirm (or disprove) that it's really 720x480. It's supposed to be interlaced (unless from a film source and can be IVTC'd) and 29.97fps. So, unless you did something really really wrong, your TV won't show any interlacing. Again, the assumption here is that you fed a 720x480 DV video via an AviSynth script into HCEnc.
    Quote Quote