VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm new to this forum and have a question. I recently lost the remote to my Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U VCR. I rarely used this remote, but I need it to switch the input from "Ch. 3" to "Line 1." It appears that it's no longer possible to purchase a replacement remote. I was wondering if a universal might work. Suggestions from anyone with experience with universal remotes would be greatly appreciated. Are there particular models that might be more likely to work for my application?

I will add a little to introduce myself. One of my interests over the years has been converting old Beta and VHS recordings to DVD. I prefer to work with Apple computers and have used Canopus ADVCs (100 and 300) for analog to digital conversions. I prefer simple software, such as iMovie and iDVD, but I paid the developer of iStabilize to produce a special version that is often useful for removing jitter from old recordings (the bad frames are translated back to the correct positions). I recently started using Roxio Toast to burn high-def video from my Sony video camera to DVD (AVCHD).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Universal remotes usually work.

Without an existing one to "train" it though you have to be sure that it has a setting for your particular machine.

Also, you can look in junk stores for old remotes. Some have a box full of them for a dollar or so. Doesn't have to be the exact model, machines of the same brand often use the same codes.

A universal will be more expensive, but easier to find.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here's one of a gazillion links to sites featuring universal remotes, found by searching on "universal remote" and "mitsubishi" in Google.

http://www.thompsontv.com/rcarc.html

Under the VCR category, they provide several codes for Mitsubishi models, one of which may (or may not) work with your unit. You may have to resort to a "trial and error" method with some of these remotes. If so, I'd want a liberal return policy if one doesn't work. Your own search may find a listing for a universal remote that exactly matches your model.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In my experience universal remotes are usually fine for basic fucntions. But they are often missing critical buttons for advanced devices.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    Also, you can look in junk stores for old remotes. Some have a box full of them for a dollar or so. Doesn't have to be the exact model, machines of the same brand often use the same codes.
    I agree with this. And let me add that I lost my Pioneer DVD player remote (actually I think my then 2-year old toddler child threw it in the garbage). I happened to have a Pioneer LD/DVD player (DVL 909) which I was able to use the remote for.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by dphirschler View Post
    Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    I agree with this. And let me add that I lost my Pioneer DVD player remote (actually I think my then 2-year old toddler child threw it in the garbage). I happened to have a Pioneer LD/DVD player (DVL 909) which I was able to use the remote for.

Darryl
    I have 2 Sony DVD recorders, one bought in '04 and one purchased a few months ago, the remotes are interchangeable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with the "advanced functions" post up there. I've found that if you get a cheap universal, you're fine for basic operation ($10 or so at walmart) If you're in need of the advanced functions, then the auctions or a more expensive universal would be ideal...I'm talking over $80 or more for the logitech type remotes that you can connect to your computer and download the needed codes for your unit - in those cases, many times the advanced functions come with the download and no training is required. I've had this happen to me, and it sucks to say the least. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by dphirschler View Post
    Sometimes you find that a remote from a more advanced model works on lesser models -- and some of the advanced features work too! Ie, the lesser model has the advanced features but they're inaccessible because its remote doesn't include the buttons.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I like the Logitech Harmony remotes. They aren't inexpensive but they can handle just about anything and are programmed over the internet using their desktop utility. I have full menu options on all of my components using them.
    I own an 880 and a 550 remote. The 550 was recently on closeout at Kmart and Sears for $60 you may still find them there.

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cinclodes View Post
    ...but I need it to switch the input from "Ch. 3" to "Line 1." It appears that it's no longer possible to purchase a replacement remote. I was wondering if a universal might work. Suggestions from anyone with experience with universal remotes would be greatly appreciated. Are there particular models that might be more likely to work for my application?
    On one or more of my VCRs, the "LINE 1" input is in between channels 99 and 1. I can access the "LINE 1" input by using the channel up/down buttons on the VCR:

Channel 3 > 2 > 1 > (LINE 1 Input) > 99 > 98 > 97...

It may be the same for your VCR as well.
    Last edited by stryker; 19th Sep 2010 at 11:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found the remote for a panny AG-1980 online, I wouldn't recommend the site - even though I've used it before: One of the employees stole my credit card number.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all for the suggestions!
    Quote Quote